Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from Southern Indiana

Hello all and apologies for being long-winded. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, researching and enjoying my time learning about bourbon whiskey. Message boards like this one are awesome. I'm continually blown away by the people on message boards and/or forums like this one.

Unfortunately, my past experience drinking whiskey is tinged with bad mojo/memories stemming from foolish ignorance, both in what I bought and how I drank it. To the best of my knowledge it was McCormick's, Jim Beam and Jack Daniels No. 7 (straight from the bottle or slamming down shots) but it's been many, many years ago thankfully. By the Grace of God I didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else. Those reckless days are well behind me.

That was then, this is now.

As I get older (I'm 35 now), I'm learning the importance of doing some research and listening to you gentleman that have a great deal of experience and I thank you for sharing. More than anything, I've learned recently to appreciate and try to refine my tastes toward bourbon whiskey and other spirits in general, rather than just see it as a means to an end...getting drunk. Bad way to go through life in my honest opinion.

I now only do a little pour, nose and sip bourbon neat with a little water and enjoy experimenting and recording my thoughts, trying to be more thoughtful with the experience. I always have a tall glass of water before, throughout and after sipping bourbon right now. Slowing down, taking my time is really making me appreciate this fine spirit more and more and is certainly curtailing horrible hangovers and getting sloppy drunk; two things I'm not interested in doing any longer.

I've savored and enjoyed from the below list recently:

Old Grand Dad 86 proof
    Evan Williams Black Label
    Old Forester
    Very Old Barton 6 yr old
    Buffalo Trace
    Old Fitzgerald BIB

I've compiled a list and can't wait to find them here locally, or hopefully across the Ohio River into Henderson, KY. I have some family by marriage in Bardstown, KY. and more family from Kentucky on my mother's side. Going to be trying to make that Bourbon Trail tour sometime this year.

Here are some bourbons/ryes I can't wait to try. I got the list stored in my Blackberry:

Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old (hopefully I can find this in Henderson, KY)
    Old Fitzgerald 1849
    Evan Williams 1783 small batch
    Old Forester Signature
    Old Grand Dad BIB
    OGD 114
    Heaven Hill BIB (Rite Aid in Henderson, KY)
    W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7 or 12 year old
    Old Weller Antique 107
    Elijah Craig 12 yr old
    Rebel Yell
    Old Ezra 7 yr old
    Regular Eagle rare
    Old Crow Reserve
    Western Gold straight

Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    Old Overholt Straight

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, share what I've been enjoying and what I'm looking forward to having over the coming years. Apologies for being long winded. I doubt I'll post much but wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to the journey fellows.

Take care and God bless,

Billy

Connoisseur

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana

I'm sure most, if not all have some memories of youthful abadon we'd eather forget.

Before you were just drinking for alcohol, now it is for pleasure amd you will actually get to taste what you are drinking. And that is good because you have a well thought out roadmap drawn already. Enjoy the trip. And I look forward to hearing what you think of all those bourbons.

Virtuoso

Welcome to the Forum, Billy.

I am from Evansville, and just moved to Indy. I do a lot of work still in E'ville, so I spend a lot of time there.

I dont have too many bottles on your list, but when I come to town I bring a sizeable care package with me. I bet there would be something in there that you might enjoy....

If you need any guidance on the Bourbon world in Evansville, fell free to ask.

Be good....
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, Billy.

I am from Evansville, and just moved to Indy. I do a lot of work still in E'ville, so I spend a lot of time there.

I dont have too many bottles on your list, but when I come to town I bring a sizeable care package with me. I bet there would be something in there that you might enjoy....

If you need any guidance on the Bourbon world in Evansville, fell free to ask.

Be good....
    Thanks man! Wish I could get up to Indy more often. It's been a couple years since I've been up that way.

By the way, what place in E'ville has a good selection behind the bar? Fox & Hound maybe? I wonder if there are any good places downtown or possibly Aztar? What liquor stores?

I've only hit the Kwik Liquor, Royal Discount Liquor and an Apollo or two. I'm trying to work through the sub $20 bottles 750ML.

Also, did you usually go across the river to Kentucky to make purchases on bottles or could you find what you were looking for mostly in E'ville? I've been calling around trying to find a bottle of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year in Henderson. I think Rite Aid has Very Old Barton BIB for under $10.

Thanks for the offer brother. Mighty kind offer. I'm taking my time on spending money and the value buys have really served me well thus far. I was very surprised just how good they really are. Trying to lay a foundation for when I 'move up' so I can make some better personal judgments on what I'm drinking and buying.

Disciple

The Rite Aid in Henderson KY. doesn't have a vast selection but the best prices around. They have the full line of Bartons. They also change up what's on sale every week or two for an even better deal. Last time down I picked up up a Four Roses single barrel for $30.99 and and Dickel at $15.50. They had a recently dumped Blantons at $45 but I passed. Unfortunately they don't carry the 6 year HH BIB only the 6 year 90 proof. The most recent 4 year HH BIB is not my cup of tea even at $10. There is nothing else of interest in the small stores in Henderson and any dusties have been taken care of by Birdman, myself or the person that took the Weller Centennial I left behind a few years back at Newt's at $45. The store with the best selection in the immediate area is in Owensboro but I don't recall the name right now. After that I believe your next choices would be Indianapolis or Louisville.

And if you find a store that carries Ale-8-One in that area let me know.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan in place to expand your palate. Being so close to Louisville, you should check out Liquor Barn and some others in that area, if you haven't already. Hope you can make it to one of the Indy get-togethers this year!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The Rite Aid in Henderson KY. doesn't have a vast selection but the best prices around. They have the full line of Bartons. They also change up what's on sale every week or two for an even better deal. Last time down I picked up up a Four Roses single barrel for $30.99 and and Dickel at $15.50. They had a recently dumped Blantons at $45 but I passed. Unfortunately they don't carry the 6 year HH BIB only the 6 year 90 proof. The most recent 4 year HH BIB is not my cup of tea even at $10. There is nothing else of interest in the small stores in Henderson and any dusties have been taken care of by Birdman, myself or the person that took the Weller Centennial I left behind a few years back at Newt's at $45. The store with the best selection in the immediate area is in Owensboro but I don't recall the name right now. After that I believe your next choices would be Indianapolis or Louisville.

And if you find a store that carries Ale-8-One in that area let me know.
    Thanks alot. I'm wanting to try more VOB including the BIB. Will be heading over the bridge soon and will hit up the Rite Aid. That Dickel at $15.50 seems like a hell of a deal. I priced it out at $21.99/750ml and passed.

The Royal Discount Liquor stocks Heaven Hill BIB for $11.99/750ml. I bought a bottle last night along with some Ezra Brooks. The HH BIB is the second BIB I've enjoyed and thought for sure the higher proof would overwhelm the flavor, but I experienced just the opposite. They also carry Old Fitzgerald BIB @ $11.49/750ml. I'm thinking I need to go back and stock up on it. Do I see an OF BIB in your avatar?

I don't have much experience with drinking bourbon but these BIB's for under $15.00 seem like a steal and they taste damn good. I love them both thus far. I almost picked up a Grand Old Dad BIB at a small liquor store in Evansville but they wanted $45.00 (I think it was a 1.5L) for it. I might, just might go back for that one. I may try to talk the owner off some of the price because it looks like it's been sitting there for awhile and they may want to move it. We'll see.

I go over to Owensboro about every other month to eat at Moonlight Bar B Que and thanks for the heads up. I make it over to Louisville maybe three times a year as well. Good stuff man and thanks.

Roger that on the Ale-8-One.

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan in place to expand your palate. Being so close to Louisville, you should check out Liquor Barn and some others in that area, if you haven't already. Hope you can make it to one of the Indy get-togethers this year!
    Thanks alot man! I will definitely try to make it to Indy sometime. I'll keep an eye out on the forum for an update. That sounds like a blast.
    Last edited by Billy Bourbon; 01-12-2012 at 11:43.
    One more pour
    Pour one more
    We all face this in some way...

Disciple

Welcome aboard. You certainly have a nice plan in front of you. The key as you start sampling a lot of different drinks is to be able to draw links between what you really like and figure out why, be it proof, the mashbill, the age, the distillery, or any combination.

Disciple

Welcome aboard Billy...good talking with you in chat the other night. Definitely take Scott up on his offer to bring a care package with him...he has an incredible selection of rare bourbons that are some of the best on the planet! I get to Evansville fairly regularly as well as my company is based in Tell City, IN.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Welcome aboard. You certainly have a nice plan in front of you. The key as you start sampling a lot of different drinks is to be able to draw links between what you really like and figure out why, be it proof, the mashbill, the age, the distillery, or any combination.
    I'm trying to get a handle on understanding Mash Bills and how different mixtures of corn, rye and wheat and ageing help define their flavor. I only really kind of understand the ingredients and process on a very basic level.

I read that Old Forester Signature is heavier on the rye. I really like the taste of the one I just got earlier in the week and am very surprised how the three 100 proof bourbons I've tried aid flavors, rather than mask them with a potent alcohol strength. This was the opposite of what I thought would happen.

I'm trying to find out the mash bills on some of the above one's I've purchased and drank along with other factors you mentioned. Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Welcome aboard Billy...good talking with you in chat the other night. Definitely take Scott up on his offer to bring a care package with him...he has an incredible selection of rare bourbons that are some of the best on the planet! I get to Evansville fairly regularly as well as my company is based in Tell City, IN.
    Thanks and good talking with you. Sorry I couldn't stay longer. Alot of what is talked about regarding Bourbon is out of my understanding presently and really couldn't keep up, not to mention I do not type all that fast. I have no experience with Scotch and I'm partial to American whiskey. Bourbon whiskey seem to offer excellent value, alot better than Scotch whiskey but I could be wrong.

Yes, that was a very kind offer from Scott.

Did you find after tasting some of the rare, more expensive bourbons that they took away from your enjoyment of value pours? I imagine they are indeed worth it. Is it kind of like, once you go rare/expensive, you won't go back kind of thing? I'm not sure my palette could fully appreciate what is referred to as the complexity. I largely taste corn, vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, coffee, oak and wheat flavors. Not sure what the finish means or how to recognize it yet.

One of the things I'm really liking is how if you let it sit a little, or add a little water, it can change the experience. This is a very cool thing. Thanks again!
    One more pour
    Pour one more
    We all face this in some way...