Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Newbie from UK - Help me decide on my next few bottles

Hi would like some thoughts to help steer me in the right direction before my next purchase. I'm new to bourbon and now have a passion or family call it an obsession. I currently enjoy drinking it with 1 ice cube(not got to neat level yet)

My 1st Bourbon purchases was Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Four roses small batch and woodford reserve(my favourite so far). Well I'm now down to the last few pours and need to decide what to get next.

My thoughts so far are eagle rare 10 yr (£30),Evan Willians 1993 (£28) Elmer T Lee - Single Barrel(£30),Elijah Craig 12(£26),Knob Creek(£27), I Have opportunity to buy a pvw23 for £160 but I don't think I'm there yet and might be wasted on me now.

Any thoughts on what I should try would be great even if I have missed a few.
    Last edited by chambeeee; 01-11-2012 at 17:55. Reason: better description

Enthusiast

Re: Newbie from UK - Help me decide on my next few bottles

From your list you have not tried a wheater. Try to find a Weller, preferably the Weller 12 or OWA-Old Weller Antique, or an Old Van Winkle, or a Pappy if available in UK. If you can't find those Makers Mark or Makers 46.

Of your list the EC12, for my taste, is a great pour.

Have fun hunting and sipping.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Connoisseur

I'd go with the EC12 too, it's from a distillery you have not tried yet and is a great pour for the money. I find all the Heaven Hill products to be very similar with the real difference being the amount of age / wood to corn balance. A taste of EC12 against say Evan Williams Black will show you how age affects a bourbon.

I found ETL to be pretty good too, I like it better than BT. I was spoiled on my ER10/90 though, it was a retailer selection and was really good.

How'd you like the Bulleit and 4 Roses?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    From your list you have not tried a wheater. Try to find a Weller, preferably the Weller 12 or OWA-Old Weller Antique, or an Old Van Winkle, or a Pappy if available in UK. If you can't find those Makers Mark or Makers 46.

Of your list the EC12, for my taste, is a great pour.

Have fun hunting and sipping.
    Thanks a whole new area to consider, will order the Weller 12 online then

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I'd go with the EC12 too, it's from a distillery you have not tried yet and is a great pour for the money. I find all the Heaven Hill products to be very similar with the real difference being the amount of age / wood to corn balance. A taste of EC12 against say Evan Williams Black will show you how age affects a bourbon.

I found ETL to be pretty good too, I like it better than BT. I was spoiled on my ER10/90 though, it was a retailer selection and was really good.

How'd you like the Bulleit and 4 Roses?
    Bulleit was OK but won't be buying again soon as there is so much catching up to do with all the different brands, I hated4 Roses first pour and it worried how long it would take to finish the bottle but the 2nd pour was something different I don't know why but it was heaven and now the 4 Roses is now finished

Going to get the EC12 as well, I like Jason Pyle's review on it and may get ORVW10/90 as I can source a bottle locally.

We seem to have a large selection of bourbons over here but you have to be prepared to pay a premium for it

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by chambeeee View Post

We seem to have a large selection of bourbons over here but you have to be prepared to pay a premium for it
    Now you know how we feel about scotch.

Novice

I would go with the Eagle Rare 10. That is my standard daily drinker.

Advanced Taster

From your list, I would also try Knob Creek. I know it doesn't get a lot of love on this board. But when I was new to bourbon I couldn't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    Now you know how we feel about scotch.
    Sadly, most scotch is the same price (or more) in the UK as it is in the US.