Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Cool Probie from the Garden State

It has been a long road for me from when I went away from any sort of Whiskey, instead switching first to Vodka and then to rums and after spending a lot of time with Montecristo Rum (which was aged 12 years in Bourbon barrels), I figured since I was looking for "more" that rather than stick with rum that drew on Bourbon barrels, I should just go to bourbon... and after a brief and decent if underwhelming stint with Crown Royal and a few other Canadian Whiskeys, I have come back to bourbon.

I have already found some great information here as a lurker, but I told you that beginning, because perhaps it is from my moving away and thus now really being a probie again in the Bourbon world, my tastes have thus far been at odds with a lot of people here.

For example, I have seen more than a few threads where high regards have been given to OGD. Well, that was one of the products that moved me initially from Bourbon to Vodka many years ago. But now I thought... perhaps I was just too young, too naive to appreciate it, so I grabbed some and tried it... To me it had the overwhelming essence of alcohol swab with hints of charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid. Not something I care to repeat.

Maker's Mark, a brand that is often put down definitely fits currently into one of my favorites (so far). I thought perhaps I fit into the profile of a "wheater" liking type, but also found that Jim Beam, once it reaches black label is also drinkable. (And go ahead and laugh... but I find Red Stag a fun way to infuse bourbon into some drinks that I would have in the past used flavored vodka for, and found this to be a major improvement for those sort of drinks).

I guess for the most part, I am going to have to sit back quietly (other than to at times ask for a clarification from somebody) and read more than anything, otherwise it would seem I am going to butt heads with the vast majority... and being a probie here... I assume, as I go along, some of this will make more sense and/or I will appreciate some of the things that at present don't seem to jive with my views.

In an effort to start the year off on a fun note, I picked up a bottle of something that seems to have an overwhelmingly positive review (Buffalo Trace), less than certain opinions (Jim Beam Devil's Cut) and a less than stellar standing (Woodruff Reserve Distiller's Select). Taking these products and my already satisfactory MM and JB Black, I am going to have something of a tasting party with a few friends (so perhaps I will be able to pawn off the losers to somebody else if I find something really that awful ) and will try and see if I can come up with what works best for me... and perhaps where I should be heading.

Anyway... that is a rather long winded way of saying, "HI! Glad I found you! and looking forward to reading SB"

Connoisseur
    Hello and welcome to the site. As far as your comments on likes vs dislikes you will not find too many people here that will trash you for liking something. The best bourbon is the one that YOU enjoy.

If you can find it I'm jersey try some Old Weller Antique or Weller 12. If you like makers (which I do as well) these are a couple of other wheaters that I tend I enjoy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Re: Probie from the Garden State

Oh, I am not worried about getting "trashed " it is all in good spirits (so to speak), and everybody is entitled to their opinion... No, I am more worried about becoming "that fuy" who posts all these contradictory opinions, only to find later that I will have to recind them all and admit I was "wrong" before.

I haven't seen Wellers around here yet... But I do have a few more places to try and will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.

There is no wrong on here your palate just may be a little more off than others no problems there. You drink your bourbon how you see fit as long as it's not with grape kool-aid.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I'll second the if you like Makers Mark, try Weller. If you can't find it in NJ, they have it in NY.

Connoisseur

And already, after one tasting, my assumptions have been altered. Apparently using OGD as a barometer of Rye had me discounting Rye based products far too quickly.

I sat down yesterday, planning on doing a tasting of several different brands as I mentioned before. The first bottle up was Buffalo Trace. I knew it had some rave reviews around here (in particular the BTAC, but this was just the standard bottle), but being a Rye based product, I held my enthusiasm in check.

Well. It just took what I thought I knew and erased it.

Buffalo Trace was nothing short of superb! So good as a matter of fact that I opted to stop there and just enjoy it instead of moving on to the other bottles.

So it seems the Probie has learned... Don't presume, don't guess... because nothing is automatic. So now Rye based products for the moment are back on the table. Fortunately, that means there are a lot more products for me to look forward to trying.

(Or is Buffalo Trace markedly different from other Rye based products?)

BT distillery has two rye bourbon mashbill what we refer to as low rye and high rye. BT the bourbon comes from the low rye mashbill meaning it has a higher corn content than a lot of rye bourbons. The Eagle Rare Single Barrel comes from this same mashbill so you may want to give it a try.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    BT distillery has two rye bourbon mashbill what we refer to as low rye and high rye. BT the bourbon comes from the low rye mashbill meaning it has a higher corn content than a lot of rye bourbons. The Eagle Rare Single Barrel comes from this same mashbill so you may want to give it a try.
    So what you are saying is I may still be somewhat of a "Wheater" since the one I like is a low rye? Makes sense.

I will certainly give Eagle Rare a look. I know I saw it in the local store, and the only reason I passed on it the first time was because my wife was with me and was already giving me dirty looks since I had 4 different bourbons pulled out to buy... Guess a stealth mission for more is in order.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    So what you are saying is I may still be somewhat of a "Wheater" since the one I like is a low rye? Makes sense.

I will certainly give Eagle Rare a look. I know I saw it in the local store, and the only reason I passed on it the first time was because my wife was with me and was already giving me dirty looks since I had 4 different bourbons pulled out to buy... Guess a stealth mission for more is in order.
    Welcome to the stealth buying club. You are now a full fledged SB member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Well, I found some Old Weller 107 (7 Year) , Eagle Rare 90 (10 Year) and the wife is going out of town this weekend!

If you me and were going to add one more bottle to this worth trying, would you go with Basil Hayden or KCSB?

I feel like I owe my mouth something good this weekend after spending the past two days with Evan Williams Black. (Gonna have to write up my first tasting notes on that).