Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: A New Domestic Beer Leader - Yuengling

I've said it before on these forums, but to me Yuengling is a major step up in quality of the big 3, and a minor step up in price. There are certainly more steps up available in quality, but not without paying for it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I've said it before on these forums, but to me Yuengling is a major step up in quality of the big 3, and a minor step up in price. There are certainly more steps up available in quality, but not without paying for it.
    Sam Adams Lager is $1 more per six pack, or 16 cents extra per beer, compared to Yuengling. That's the deal of the century, and I see it every time I go to the store. My wife made me realize that Sam Adams, when it's not fresh, can be nasty, while Yuengling is always fizzy corn water refreshing, so it's important to get a newly brewed bottle.

Guru

Lightbulb Re: A New Domestic Beer Leader - Yuengling

I think those who are let down by the Yuengling brews are somewhat missing the point. I do not think their beers are supposed to be a mind boggling gourmet experience, but rather a very good quality everyday beer. Which they certainly are, and at a fraction of the cost of Sam Adams.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I think those who are let down by the Yuengling brews are somewhat missing the point. I do not think their beers are supposed to be a mind boggling gourmet experience, but rather a very good quality everyday beer. Which they certainly are, and at a fraction of the cost of Sam Adams.

Tim
    $1 less per six pack than Sam Adams.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    $1 less per six pack than Sam Adams.
    Not in Ohio. $7.99 vs $5.17.

I'll double check next time I'm in the store. I never look at SA products as I never buy them. They were nice 10 years ago when there was less variety. Now I'll go the other way and pay a dollar or two more for a much better micro brew than SA.

SA has priced themselves out of the market for my tastes. The fact that I'm not real fond of the beer makes it even easier to walk on by.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Not in Ohio. $7.99 vs $5.17.

I'll double check next time I'm in the store. I never look at SA products as I never buy them. They were nice 10 years ago when there was less variety. Now I'll go the other way and pay a dollar or two more for a much better micro brew than SA.

SA has priced themselves out of the market for my tastes. The fact that I'm not real fond of the beer makes it even easier to walk on by.
    I get their Octoberfest, but that's pretty much it. If I get a macrobrew, it'll almost always be a Sierra Nevada offering - their Celebration Ale, Torpedo, and Tumbler are the same price as Sam Adams and in another league as far as taste.

I'd definitely get Yuengling for $5.17 a sixer, though. That's cheaper than Schlitz up here.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    My shopping cart today. The BA box still says "seasonal" but the production date on the cans says 12/23/11

I'm set for a while now.

Fun fact: at least last year, Bitter American was the most expensive beer for them to make. I don't know why that was, and maybe they've gotten the cost down since then, but I never would have guessed.

I'm having one right now - excellent, excellent beer.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I like Yuengling. A nice, solid, American-owned regular beer. Although I still drink Bud occasionally, Yuengling has replaced it in my regular rotation for that category, solely in response to A-B selling out. Principal of the thing, and all that BS.

It's the current Darling. But, I know how these things go. In 5 years or so, there will be the backlash, as something new (or old) comes along. It will run the normal course, "too big", "ruined since they went national", "quality has suffered", "all marketing", "unfair to the small guys", "XYZ American owned beer is really what you should be buying, because they do this, that and the other."...yadda yadda yadda...

OK for now, but I'm just sayin'!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Fun fact: at least last year, Bitter American was the most expensive beer for them to make. I don't know why that was, and maybe they've gotten the cost down since then, but I never would have guessed.

I'm having one right now - excellent, excellent beer.
    I must give credit to Dean Sheen for turning me on to both beers pictured. I favor the BA over Session red, but both are excellent. The BA gives me a hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections.

I'm glad they made it a year round, too.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I must give credit to Dean Sheen for turning me on to both beers pictured. I favor the BA over Session red, but both are excellent. The BA gives me a hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections.

I'm glad they made it a year round, too.
    The Session Red sounds great, but it only gets to DC as a special order, with a "special" price tag. Next time I'm on the west coast...