Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Semi-Noob from Northern, IN

Greetings from Northern Indiana,

I'm fairly new to the Bourbon world. Have been sampling what I can over the last few years. A few of the ones I have tasted thus far has been:

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 (My current favorite.)
    Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Baker's 107
    Booker's
    Baisil Hayden's
    Jim Beam (White, Black, Green and Devil's Cut)
    Evan William's 1783 (Which, I personally enjoy for it's price.)

Hopefully the fine, educated folks here can throw some suggestions out there for future pours.

Cheers,
    Darren

Virtuoso

Re: Semi-Noob from Northern, IN

Cool. Don't be afraid to try some " bottom shelfer's" for the price of some of those u can pick up an old grand dad bob or weller sr. If ur lucky find an actual weller 7.

Disciple

That's a pretty good starting list. Bulleit might be worth a try for you, as well as the 4R yellow. Where in the snowy half of Indiana are you if you don't mind me asking?

Novice

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions guys. I've actually been wanting to taste Four Roses and Buillet for some time now. Along with some of the Wild Turkey offerings (Rare Breed, Kentucky Sprit).

Bourbon Boiler. I'm located in the Warsaw area. How about yourself? Enjoying this wonderful weather we are having? (Inject final sentence with loads of sarcasm.)

Novice

Greetings fellow Hoosier. A couple more you might want to try would be Very Old Barton BIB along with Old Overholt Straight Rye whiskey. I've not got me a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB yet but hopefully will here soon. One thing that happened to me after drinking some of the Old Overholt Rye was really being able to notice the rye flavor, and now I can pick the flavor up better on some other bourbons I've been drinking. It helped to better define the rye flavor.

Looking forward to hearin from you.
    Last edited by Billy Bourbon; 01-20-2012 at 15:04.
    One more pour
    Pour one more
    We all face this in some way...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, Darren! The Indiana contingent at SB just keeps expanding. Make sure you try and hook up with your fellow Hoosiers next time there is a get-together there. Really good people, and really good whiskey in their bunkers. I hope you enjoy your time here, and I look forward to reading about your continued journey into Bourbonia. BTW, my mother-in-law is from Warsaw. I won't hold that against you...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Welcome Darren. I'm very familiar with where you live. I have family in your area. My sister and her husband live in North Manchester. My nephews are in the general area too, but I'm not sure where at this time. Warsaw and/or Fort Wayne I believe. I'm originally from Indianapolis. Hope you enjoy SB. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Befallen_Soul87 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions guys. I've actually been wanting to taste Four Roses and Buillet for some time now. Along with some of the Wild Turkey offerings (Rare Breed, Kentucky Sprit).

Bourbon Boiler. I'm located in the Warsaw area. How about yourself? Enjoying this wonderful weather we are having? (Inject final sentence with loads of sarcasm.)
    WT KY Spirit is always one of my favorites. Try to get your hands on an older bottle if you can. (Dark wood or Pewter top instead of Light wood)

I'm about 20 minutes north of Lafayette. I did not enjoy my commute today.

Novice

Once again. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I will certainly keep my eye out for the suggestions when I have the funds available to purchase one or more of those selections.

Also, I was, until recently, unaware of the amount of folks in my region with a taste for Bourbon. Bourbon Boiler, I can imagine your commute was not a pleasant one at all.

I also have one question, as I haven't been able to locate much information on Woodford Reserve's upcoming release of Double Oaked. Is there anyone here, or a location of the fourm in which I can read up about it? Any information would much appriciated.

Slainte,
    Darren

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Befallen_Soul87 View Post
    Once again. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I will certainly keep my eye out for the suggestions when I have the funds available to purchase one or more of those selections.

Also, I was, until recently, unaware of the amount of folks in my region with a taste for Bourbon. Bourbon Boiler, I can imagine your commute was not a pleasant one at all.

I also have one question, as I haven't been able to locate much information on Woodford Reserve's upcoming release of Double Oaked. Is there anyone here, or a location of the fourm in which I can read up about it? Any information would much appriciated.

Slainte,
    Darren
    It's discussed breifly here:

http://straightbourbon.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17126