Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Current High West Rezendevous Rye's

I had read in another thread that the current (last year or so) high west Rezendevous's have been a letdown. My buddy had also confirmed this. is there any way to find the good ones still?

He said his didn't have the silver sticker "2008 spirits competitiion" sticker on the bottle. is there a way to tell which bottles are oldies but goodies? Does the sticker mean its from a previous dumping?

Connoisseur

Re: Current High West Rezendevous Rye's

Thanks for the timely post. I was not aware of this and was going to order myself a bottle of the rendezvous and a bottle of the 16 to try. I will hold off on the rendezvous until I hear more about what the deal is.

Virtuoso

Don't know bout the 16yo, but I would spend money elsewhere than on the Rendezvous. If you must get HW, try the less expensive Double Rye first. They tell me it has more for the palate. For the same or less money, I would get a couple of Ritt BIBs or a 1B 4R...private bottle if you can find one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Does the sticker mean its from a previous dumping?
    PS I mean "does the sticker mean its from a NEWER dumping?"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Don't know bout the 16yo, but I would spend money elsewhere than on the Rendezvous. If you must get HW, try the less expensive Double Rye first. They tell me it has more for the palate. For the same or less money, I would get a couple of Ritt BIBs or a 1B 4R...private bottle if you can find one.
    I dont know much about the double rye, but I was under the impression that the rezendevous was definitely the superior product, but with the newer stuff I'm not so sure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    PS I mean "does the sticker mean its from a NEWER dumping?"
    I was under the impression, that it was all the same. Perhaps a tanking difference?

Enthusiast

I think the 16 and 21 are excellent. The hard part is finding them at a fair price.
    Ryan

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    I think the 16 and 21 are excellent. The hard part is finding them at a fair price.
    Mind sharing your fair price point? I've seen these on a very limited basis, and it would be nice to get a range idea.

Thanks
    B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Mind sharing your fair price point? I've seen these on a very limited basis, and it would be nice to get a range idea.
    B
    http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search...xt=high%20west

Virtuoso

I haven't had any Rendezvous for over a year and a half, so I have no idea what the latest stuff is like. I had a bottle in hand a few weeks ago, ready to check out, when I caught the gaze of my favorite whiskey-slinger over the shelf in the next aisle and he mumbled something about having a Pappy 20 for me. I perked up, he went to the back of the store and came back with a Pappy 20 and a VWFRR. Needless to say, I put the Rendezvous back!

But I did notice that the bottle has a pretty extensive batch number. It also said that you could call the distillery to find out exactly where the whiskey in your batch came from, though I don't know what that would mean in terms of how it's going to taste.

I wasn't a fan of the Double Rye! It had some nice cinnaminty notes, but the waxy texture turned me off. I really enjoyed the Rendezvous though, in 2009-10 anyway.

I picked up some of the 16yr Rocky Mountain for $90 recently. It's not what I was expecting and I haven't dug too deeply into my bottle yet, but it's pretty unique. It's only 92 proof, but it sustains the same intense spice that I get in Handy Rye at 120+ proof. $90 is definitely steep, but it really is a one-of-a-kind rye, and HW is a saint for not chill filtering it.

The 21yr rye goes for $130 around here. I didn't realize it until just the other day, but the 21yr is not straight rye, it was actually aged in used cooperage. I have had the pleasure of tasting it on a few occasions, and I remember it as pure sparkling liquid gold, the smoothest whiskey I've ever guzzled. I recall that it lacked the complexity of other aged ryes like Saz18, and not a touch of the heavy oak I've encountered with the Vintage Rye 23.

The only reason that you can still find the 16 and the 21 on the shelves is that the prices seem to be pushed just enough to make them easy passes, at least for awhile. I've been getting antsy about them lately, which is why I picked up that 16yr.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--