Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Nitrogen bottle for displacing air in bourbon bottles

Does anyone know where to get these? Which brand is good? I think they're nitrogen, but I'm not sure- the things that you spray air into the bottle to displace the air and keep it from going bad.

Can you get them on ebay or amazon? Is there a good place to buy them? Is there a good brand or brands to watch out for?

Also- not totally sure if this is the right section of the forum.

Virtuoso

Re: Nitrogen bottle for displacing air in bourbon bottles

I use Private Preserve which seems to be one of the most common and is available on Amazon. Hard to know how it compares with whiskey (I'm going to put an experiment together, but it will take time) but the wine folks seem to like it.

Connoisseur

Here is one of the one's available on Amazon

Wine Enthusiast Private Preserve Wine Preservation Spray

Yes, it says "wine" but is the same for all purposes.

---

whopps, seems sku was a bit faster.

Enthusiast

I absolutely swear by this stuff. Many people don't notice it, but I stand by my claim that whiskey gets stale a month or two after you open the bottle. If you are one of those people that have dozens of bottles open for years at a time and don't think the flavor changes, then God bless you. I wish I was like that. But I can definitely taste the flavor deteriorate if I don't spray after each pour.

If you are a nut-job like me, get together with your friends and buy it a case at a time from here, works out to $6.50 / bottle delivered.

http://www.winepreserve.com/

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Advanced Taster

I also use Private Preserve and love it. Until I get down to about 1/4 bottle left or so. Then I get a friend or two together and we just finish the bottle.

It also ensures a good supply of friends.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I absolutely swear by this stuff. Many people don't notice it, but I stand by my claim that whiskey gets stale a month or two after you open the bottle. If you are one of those people that have dozens of bottles open for years at a time and don't think the flavor changes, then God bless you. I wish I was like that. But I can definitely taste the flavor deteriorate if I don't spray after each pour.

If you are a nut-job like me, get together with your friends and buy it a case at a time from here, works out to $6.50 / bottle delivered.

http://www.winepreserve.com/

Cheers,

Do you find yourself sticking with the original cork or going with one of the wine stoppers to keep out the air?
    “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Lao Tzu

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ShewDawg View Post
    Do you find yourself sticking with the original cork or going with one of the wine stoppers to keep out the air?
    Excellent question. I have been staring at this stuff at the local "kitchen megamart" for a while now. I do have a few bottles that are open that will probably stay that way for quite some time without being emptied (me, not emptying a bottle, imagine that!). I'll have to give it a try.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ShewDawg View Post
    Depends on the cork. If it seems sound I keep it. If I open a bottle and the cork seems dried out or otherwise suspect I immediately decant into a screw-top.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post
    I also use Private Preserve and love it. Until I get down to about 1/4 bottle left or so. Then I get a friend or two together and we just finish the bottle.

It also ensures a good supply of friends.
    Agreed! I also tend to decant into smaller bottles as the fill level gets down, to minimize the amount of airspace.
    Mike

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I prefer nitrous oxide. It makes everything taste better.