Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Nitrogen bottle for displacing air in bourbon bottles

Do you put the NO in the bottle or in you?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownbbq View Post
    Do you put the NO in the bottle or in you?
    First swig should come straight from the bottle, then pour as normal.

Enthusiast

I've been using PrivatePreserve for a few years now. I like it b/c I don't have to feel rushed to finish a bottle and that allows me to have 20+ bottles opened at once.
    Never experienced an issue with whiskey oxidation while using it, and I've had some bottles opened over a year.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

If you are a nut-job like me, get together with your friends and buy it a case at a time from here, works out to $6.50 / bottle delivered.

http://www.winepreserve.com/

Cheers,
    5.50 if you buy it on ebay-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-12-Priv...#ht_1678wt_952

6 if you buy through amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Preser...ef=pd_sbs_hg_3
    Last edited by trumpstylz; 01-19-2012 at 15:56.

Enthusiast

Does anyone know if you can take these on your carry on luggage or in your check in luggage (its not flammable i'm guessing)?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Does anyone know if you can take these on your carry on luggage or in your check in luggage (its not flammable i'm guessing)?
    You can take these in your checked luggage but not your carry on.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

I swear by the stuff - and have for ages. A buddy picked some up and used it for a while, and I really appreciated the difference it makes.

Especially for some rarer Scotch and Bourbons that I might have open for a year+, this comes in really handy. I can always tell a difference after about 6 months (when the bottle is at or below half-way empty) when I forgot to use it - especially if it's a few months between pours.

Well worth the price - and a single bottle of this stuff lasts darn near forever.

Enthusiast

If you REALLY want the best, get a canister of argon, not nitrogen. Nitrogen's molecular weight is lighter than air...so, when you spray it down into a bottle, it floats back up & out. Argon is heavier than air, and creates a 'blanket' barrier between the liquid and air. Of course, argon is 7+ times more expensive than nitrogen.

If you DO use nitrogen, tilt the bottle at an angle before you spray it in. This way you've a better chance of trapping it in the bottle. And use bar top stoppers if available.

And whatever you do, don't waste your money on those crappy Vacu-Vin stoppers & pumps. Huge waste of time and money.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    If you REALLY want the best, get a canister of argon, not nitrogen. Nitrogen's molecular weight is lighter than air...so, when you spray it down into a bottle, it floats back up & out. Argon is heavier than air, and creates a 'blanket' barrier between the liquid and air. Of course, argon is 7+ times more expensive than nitrogen.

If you DO use nitrogen, tilt the bottle at an angle before you spray it in. This way you've a better chance of trapping it in the bottle. And use bar top stoppers if available.

And whatever you do, don't waste your money on those crappy Vacu-Vin stoppers & pumps. Huge waste of time and money.
    For those thinking, "Thanks Mat, but where the hell do I get Argon-that seems really exotic??" Read the following.

Well, I'm happy to say that you can get it in similar cans to the above mentioned nitrogen. It you have a local woodworking store like a Rockler or Woodcraft, look for a product by the name of Bloxygen-Amazon and others also carry it. Your local big box will probably not have it.

I've have a can and have used it for the original purpose of preventing woodworking finishes-varnish, from skinning over or gelling due to the exposure to oxygen once the can it opened. The stuff works!! Bit more expensive, but a can does seemingly last forever. I'm thinking mine been around for 6-7 years now and still is going.

I would try it on a bottle, but rarely have had something open for a extended period of time.

Or you could use something like this, http://weldingdirect.com/gascyl55cfar.html , but I think the above is a bit easier, and cheaper.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

That's GREAT news, BF! I've been using an old rig I had for my winery, but just might have to track down a few cans of Bloxygen. Thanks for the lead.

Every now and then I encounter someone who complains that Private Preserve (& other Nitrogen systems) 'don't work'. It's all due to the weight of the gas, and the fact that they don't use enough and/or don't tilt the bottle.

Argon is the way to go...or you can just drain the bottle within a month after you open it.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY