Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Ralfy takes apart JW Blue

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Apparently Costco gets all the good whisk(e)y, including Lagavulin 16 for under $60 (just ridiculous).

Just got done reading this month's Consumer Reports tonight and Costco blew away the competition.

It's now official....I'm switching from Sam's Club to Costco.
    Yup, gold for $55, Lagavulin 16 for $55 and Oban 14 for $45 are the three regulars I see every visit.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Yup, gold for $55, Lagavulin 16 for $55 and Oban 14 for $45 are the three regulars I see every visit.
    It seems that Costco doesn't carry the same things in all areas. I'm going to start a thread over in "Deals" so we don't get too off-topic here.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    It seems that Costco doesn't carry the same things in all areas. I'm going to start a thread over in "Deals" so we don't get too off-topic here.
    Very true. I have a friend who has a Costco membership here and I sent him after a Lagavulin for me. He said they didn't have it. So I'm fearful my local store won't have these wonderful expressions. Oh well, sounds like CR thinks they're better than Sam's anyway. I doubt whisky factored into their comparisons.

To answer the "all malt" question....I'm fairly certain all the JW releases are blends.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Very true. I have a friend who has a Costco membership here and I sent him after a Lagavulin for me. He said they didn't have it. So I'm fearful my local store won't have these wonderful expressions. Oh well, sounds like CR thinks they're better than Sam's anyway. I doubt whisky factored into their comparisons.

To answer the "all malt" question....I'm fairly certain all the JW releases are blends.
    Josh, I don't think you need a Costco membership to buy liquor at any Costco that has a separate entrance liquor store.....
    Last edited by cigarnv; 02-22-2012 at 16:17.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

In MI you do not need to be a member to purchase alcohol or prescription drugs at Costco.

Unfortunately in MI Costco does not have a good selection and the price is state controlled. However I do strongly recommend purchasing generic prescription drugs at Costco. I buy a 3 month supply of a generic for <$10 by paying cash. If I went to a regular pharmacy and used my prescription plan it would cost me $45 in copay alone.

My doctor recommended Costco and she also told me that you may purchase alcohol without being a member.

I'm a member from time to time pending on my current needs.

Connoisseur

They are all blends, but the Green label is a "blended malt scotch whisky" (fka vatted or pure malt) and the others are "blended scotch whisky".

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    They are all blends, but the Green label is a "blended malt scotch whisky" (fka vatted or pure malt) and the others are "blended scotch whisky".
    Correct. Green is all malt (formerly called "vatted malt").

Connoisseur

The Green is sherried to hell, to my taste. Supposedly it has both Talisker and Caol Ila in it, but since I don't get much smoke or anything of the sort, I'm guessing they're unpeated.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    The Green is sherried to hell, to my taste. Supposedly it has both Talisker and Caol Ila in it, but since I don't get much smoke or anything of the sort, I'm guessing they're unpeated.
    Hmm. I love the Green but I couldn't drink a cask strength bottle of McCallan (my only experience with McCallan).

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I get a fair amount of sherry influence but I wouldn't call it a sherry bomb like Aberlour or some others. There's definitely Talisker in there, though. It's not a huge part but if you nose and taste JW Green and Talisker 10 head to head you'll find it. The peat is mostly evident on the attack. It disappears in the mid-palate and finish, where the more delicate Speysides take over. Remember that they're not aiming for an agressive islander style, but rather more along the lines of old Highlands. Also, because it's 15 years old, the peat tends to mellow where some of the sherried aspects get louder.