Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Greetings from The Ohio State University!

Hey there Straightbourbon folks!

My name is Ty, its nice to meet all of you! I'm currently an undergraduate student at the Ohio State University and I have a newfound (and growing) interest in Bourbon whiskey! I've taken the advice from around the site and started off with a bottle of some EW black label, and i've gotta say im impressed. I've also taken advice from the veterans by starting off drinking my pours neat with just a little bit of water added.

So i ask, is there anything about the bourbon world that would be good for me to explore as a beginner? I mean things like learning to taste ryes vs wheats or using the right glass or something?

Thanks, i'm looking forward to meeting all you guys.
    -Ty

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry_Hill View Post
    Hey there Straightbourbon folks!

My name is Ty, its nice to meet all of you! I'm currently an undergraduate student at the Ohio State University and I have a newfound (and growing) interest in Bourbon whiskey! I've taken the advice from around the site and started off with a bottle of some EW black label, and i've gotta say im impressed. I've also taken advice from the veterans by starting off drinking my pours neat with just a little bit of water added.

So i ask, is there anything about the bourbon world that would be good for me to explore as a beginner? I mean things like learning to taste ryes vs wheats or using the right glass or something?

Thanks, i'm looking forward to meeting all you guys.
    -Ty
    Ty, welcome to the forum. Great to have a Buckeye on board. You ask a good question related to tasting. There are a lot of different ryes option a available at the EW price range. As far as a wheated option in that range you run into the Ohio problem. They control all liquor choices in the state and even which stores can sell certain brands. Ohio's wheated option are very limited. If you want to try something the EW price range pick up some Weller Special Reserve or for just a little more Old Weller Antique but both may be hard to find in cbus.

Gu Bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Re: Greetings from The Ohio State University!

If you're just trying EW Black, one thing you might do is buy a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel, which can usually be had for $25. It's usually a very good bottle of whiskey, and you can see what a few more years in the barrel does to the "same" whiskey.

Welcome to the board.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

As a fellow current Buckeye, welcome to the board Ty. As Ejmharris mentioned, finding wheated bourbon (outside of Maker's) is pretty tough in the Columbus area. Village Carryout on 5th has offered to special order WSR for me before, but it's not typically stocked. Nor have I seen it stocked anywhere else in town. As for OWA, I don't believe it's available in the state.

Justin

Virtuoso

Howdy Ty and welcome from up in Michigan.

Best regards, tony

Virtuoso

I guess it's mandatory that all Buckeye fans should welcome you to the forum, so.... welcome! Read, enjoy, learn.

Advanced Taster

Drink to old Ohio 'til we wobble in our shoes.

As a student you might appreciate perusing some of the threads on under $20 boubons, its a great place to start your bourbon experience. I would start with the major distillers (the ones on the bourbon trail, and Buffalo Trace aint half bad either) for now, and avoid the micros or sourced bourbons until later.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ght=affordable
    Last edited by bgageus; 01-20-2012 at 04:14.