Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7

    Hello from Bourbon land

    HI everybody. I live in Louisville, love bourbon, love trying different bourbons. Love the website and posts. Love bourbon. I am also way into rum and never thought a day would come where I choose a good bourbon over a good rum. The problem I have with rum is that most of it needs to be mixed with something. Or as Carl Spackler once said "it's a little harsh". Usually for me, diet coke. and I hate diet coke but believe diet coke and rum were made for each other. I love how all of the bourbons I drink can go down straight. joe

  2. #2
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    16

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Quote Originally Posted by KYBourbonlover View Post
    HI everybody. I live in Louisville, love bourbon, love trying different bourbons. Love the website and posts. Love bourbon. I am also way into rum and never thought a day would come where I choose a good bourbon over a good rum. The problem I have with rum is that most of it needs to be mixed with something. Or as Carl Spackler once said "it's a little harsh". Usually for me, diet coke. and I hate diet coke but believe diet coke and rum were made for each other. I love how all of the bourbons I drink can go down straight. joe
    Welcome! I find that the well aged rums can be drank straight up and they are very smooth. One example is Solera 23. I could drink that all night.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    542

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Welcome aboard.

    I must agree, a GOOD well aged rum goes down quite smoothly (much like is true with bourbon), but junk (aged or not) is just junk (just like bourbon). Montecristo Rum has been my straight rum of choice for some time now.

    If ALL your bourbon goes down smooth, either you are very lucky, or haven't sampled enough bourbon.

  4. #4
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Welcome aboard.

    I must agree, a GOOD well aged rum goes down quite smoothly (much like is true with bourbon), but junk (aged or not) is just junk (just like bourbon). Montecristo Rum has been my straight rum of choice for some time now.

    If ALL your bourbon goes down smooth, either you are very lucky, or haven't sampled enough bourbon.
    The answer is I have not sampled enough. Not near enough I've been in ky for ten years. My wife was born and raised here. The only spirit I have really ever been into is rum. The Rums I like to drink straight are the mount gay extra old. I love Ron zacapa and then several I have from Martinique Anyways I've been building my taste and appreciation for ky straight bourbon for about the past five years or so. I feel like I'm still very new to it and am learning a lot near.y everyday. I have moved from mixing with coke to Ginger ale to now on the rocks sometimes with a needed (for me) splash of water. For instance tonight I had a glass of BH ( I'm learning the abbreviations ) and to me the ice seems like it has to be taking away from the bourbon. It seems so smooth or light or whatever you would describe it as. Then I had a glass of KC on the rocks but also had to add a splash of water just so I could enjoy it a bit more.

    So bottom line is that I have about 20 bottles in my collection and have sampled about 20 more beyond those. So that's it, 40 bourbons tasted total . So far it has all been pretty g,old quality stuff. I have had no experience
    with the cheap stuff. Yet

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    368

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Welcome.

    I'm a rum lover also. I think the best sippin rums neat or with a little ice are rums straight from sugar cane juice....ie...they skip the step of cane juice to molasses to rum. Most rums are distilled from molasses.

    My favorite sugar cane rums are Westerhall(hard to find), Barbancourt, Saint James, Ron Zacapa, and 10 Cane.

    I also love Mount Gay, mainly because I've been drinking it for years and years.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

    William Faulkner

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    542

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Being in KY, I guess gives you some advantages in price and selection advantages over what I have available to me here in NJ (NJ does not allow alcohol being shipped, so I am stuck with what is available locally only).

    I don't think I have 40 options of Bourbon available here, and certainly a lot of it is either "the cheap stuff" or "the standards" (Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Old Granddad).

    And there is nothing wrong with a splash of water or some ice... hell... once you hit that first "questionable" tasting bourbon... it may become a necessity.

  7. #7
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Being in KY, I guess gives you some advantages in price and selection advantages over what I have available to me here in NJ (NJ does not allow alcohol being shipped, so I am stuck with what is available locally only).

    I don't think I have 40 options of Bourbon available here, and certainly a lot of it is either "the cheap stuff" or "the standards" (Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Old Granddad).

    And there is nothing wrong with a splash of water or some ice... hell... once you hit that first "questionable" tasting bourbon... it may become a necessity. :eek:


    It is nice being in Louisville. I have 4 regular places that have fairly large selections. I'm not sure on prices. Our bourbon in KY is highly taxed. Maybe highest in the nation, I believe.

    Alcohol shipping laws are ridiculous. I'll leave it at that.



    wmpevas, I agree, I love the sugar cane juice rum. I am a Barbancourt fan as well. I think it's the best bang for your buck with their 4 year. $18 where I live. Most of the sugar cane rums comes from French island such as Haiti (where Barbancourt comes from) and Martinique. I just brought back a bunch this past summer from Martinique. All incredible high quality sippin' rums.

  8. #8
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    14

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Hi Joe,
    I'm in Louisville also, south end near "Lively Shively." Long time wine drinker, but relatively new to bourbon. Enjoying the few I've tried immensely. What are the 4 places that you mentioned that have large selections here?

    Thanks.
    Michael T

  9. #9
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Hi Joe,
    I'm in Louisville also, south end near "Lively Shively." Long time wine drinker, but relatively new to bourbon. Enjoying the few I've tried immensely. What are the 4 places that you mentioned that have large selections here?

    Thanks.
    Michael T
    HI Michael,

    My number 1 spot is the Prospect Party Mart, because it is right by my house, Jamie the owner is GREAT, his prices are great and selection is good. Lots of good wine in all price ranges. Then my #2 is Westport Wine and Whiskey, then Brownsboro Party Mart and then the Liquor Barn, great selection, good prices a little too big and boxy for me. I try to keep is a little more home owned when possible.

  10. #10
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    14

    Re: Hello from Bourbon land

    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the suggestions on liquor stores. Of the ones you suggested, I've only been to Liquor Barn. That's good to know of some others, and I agree about supporting local places when possible.

    Thanks!
    Michael

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hi all from Chicago land
    By 1990Z51 in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 15:18
  2. "Our" Jim Butler in the land of the Canucks...
    By boone in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 19:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top