Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky

This article may be a bit technical, but it really does illustrate the complexity of a bourbon's nose.

Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky by Application of the Aroma Extract Dilution Analysis

"The whisky under investigation was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon whisky which, according to the label, had been produced according to the sour mesh method and had been stored in new, heat‐charred oak casks for at least three years. Several batches of the same product (same year of production) were purchased at a local supermarket. Mentioning of a brand name does not imply any research contact with the whisky manufacturer nor is it done for advertising purposes."

I wonder why they selected a bourbon aged 3 years?

Enjoy!
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Virtuoso

Re: Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky

Mr gilman, where u at bro? I don't have time to read this whole thing and would appreciate your cliff notes.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Re: Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky

Wow - very technical, but interesting! I have no idea what they're talking about for the most part as chemistry wasn't one of my favorite classes, but it makes sense that if you can determine which chemicals provide what odors you might be able to back into what produces those chemicals.

I personally love the approach that BT is taking with the Single Oak project (although I refuse to pay full price for those half-bottles as part of an experiment). I don't think it is nearly as technical as this (but could be wrong!), but does involve statistical analysis by comparing the "what'd we do to this one?" variables with the results. Might not know at a molecular level why one tastes better, but that hasn't stopped anyone from making great bourbon thus far

Thanks for sharing this!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins