Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    What's wild is she has told me they have already sold 1.5 cases of the 2 they had at that price. I told her that I would take one right then for $70, of course she said no but I gave her my info and told her to call if the price dropped at all.
    Haven't seen Tornado in Indy yet, but a couple of stores still have the Single Barrel - for $99.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Haven't seen Tornado in Indy yet, but a couple of stores still have the Single Barrel - for $99.
    It has all the marketing tools for a mark-up: fancy cardboard tube, BIB on label and Single Barrel on label and limited release status to boot!

I passed up a WTAS today and noticed there were three more scattered around in different areas of the store. It was priced at $89.99.

Advanced Taster

PVW 23 for $280.

Since Harlen said the 23 still had some SW juice, it was tempting, but after some obnoxious consternation and contemplation, I passed. Figure I'll keep the powder dry for this year's Four Roses LE releases. And yet my drama queen side wants someone to tell me I made a big mistake.

Connoisseur

BarrelChar!!! Go spend your money on some real SW whiskey! If you don't you'll wake up in the middle of the night, sweating, and wonder if you've really tasted the true thing.

(even though I'm doing as you did, saving my $ for the 4R products)
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

I passed on an EC18 distilled in 1982 for $79. I grabbed the '99 rare breed (on sale for $36) instead.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    BarrelChar!!! Go spend your money on some real SW whiskey! If you don't you'll wake up in the middle of the night, sweating, and wonder if you've really tasted the true thing. (even though I'm doing as you did, saving my $ for the 4R products)
    YES YES, that is what I want to hear!!! Well, I still have my minis of the true old school, tax-stamped SW, so until I can until I can give Harlen & Julian the sodium pentathol truth serum, that'll have to do.

That store was also doing a tasting of Woodford Double Oaked. Granted, Brown-Forman isn't exactly a heavy hitter, but this was absolutely vile, hideous bourbon. Huge cloying aspartame-like sweetness upfront and an nauseating bitter, sour finish. It was as close to an "F" as bourbon gets, and I wouldn't have taken a bottle if they gave it to me for free. Needed a full bottle of water just to remove the taste. Grade-A nightmare fuel.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelChar View Post
    YES YES, that is what I want to hear!!! Well, I still have my minis of the true old school, tax-stamped SW, so until I can until I can give Harlen & Julian the sodium pentathol truth serum, that'll have to do.

That store was also doing a tasting of Woodford Double Oaked. Granted, Brown-Forman isn't exactly a heavy hitter, but this was absolutely vile, hideous bourbon. Huge cloying aspartame-like sweetness upfront and an nauseating bitter, sour finish. It was as close to an "F" as bourbon gets, and I wouldn't have taken a bottle if they gave it to me for free. Needed a full bottle of water just to remove the taste. Grade-A nightmare fuel.
    Sadly, it IS an improvement over regular Woodford.

Connoisseur

You made me laugh out loud, you made the Hansell review of the BTEC Oat sound absolutely complimentary in comparison! I have always had a strong dislike of Woodford, so I'll take you at your word on the Double Oaked.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 04-26-2012 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I have always had a strong dislike of Woodford, so I'll take you at your word on the Double Oaked.
    As have I and as will I!

Time for you start a review blog! Many people here may disagree with you on many issues, but I have to imagine that most find your writing enormously entertaining.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Time for you start a review blog! Many people here may disagree with you on many issues, but I have to imagine that most find your writing enormously entertaining.
    But if I start releasing honest reviews, I'll never enjoy the constant flow of free samples, gift bottles and comped tickets to gala whiskey events! And frankly, that's a price I'm not willing to pay. It's smarter to give almost everything a "B" or better and just rehash a bunch of fluffy industry press releases.

In fact, allow me to restate my review: "I just received this sample yesterday and tasted it last night. I really enjoy it. It’s richer and creamier than the standard Woodford Reserve. Smooth too, with a kiss of sweetness to it." Wait, no scratch that. Here is my super-duper final rewrite: "I am hard pressed to pick a favorite, but ultimately I think Double Oaked is a slight improvement over an already fine whiskey. A-."

Damnit, turns out I just plagiarized twice. As you can see, I'm not cut out for the kind of ferocious integrity required for the business of professional whiskey criticism.

In all seriousness, it's dreadful, overpriced releases like Double Oaked that give me a greater appreciation for the brutal honesty and expert palates of the writers at LA Whiskey Society, especially Sku. His notes on this poison were dead-on.
    Last edited by BarrelChar; 04-27-2012 at 02:14.