Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: KBD to start distilling any day now.

The one thing that KBD has going for them is they should have the financial back bone to be able to age their product properly. No 1 and 2 yr old bourbons from 30 gallon barrels should be coming out of there. The have the experience with blending barrels and single barrels to know what they are looking for. If anyone has a shot at doing this they should. I wish them luck we'll know more in 6 or 7 years or so.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Well, there's up and running and there's up and running. I believe Pickerell if he says they have fired up a still, and a few test runs are inevitable. That's not the same as actually going into production, making full batches, and filling barrels, day after day. This is a milestone, though, just with a long way yet to go.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I genuinely wish them the best but it's hard to get too excited since, I don't know, about 500 people around the country beat them to it.
    I'm sorry... I didn't realize there was a competition.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I'm sorry... I didn't realize there was a competition.
    Point is that there are new micro-distilleries opening every day in this country. This one has been all talk and no action for 20 years. So why all the excitement when they finally do something? Prodigal son, I guess. (I never understood it in the Bible either.)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Point is that there are new micro-distilleries opening every day in this country. This one has been all talk and no action for 20 years. So why all the excitement when they finally do something? Prodigal son, I guess. (I never understood it in the Bible either.)
    At least now you'll be able to stop asking for the source of their whiskey!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Doubtful. They've got a very long way to go before they can stop buying whiskey and that may not even be their plan.

I going to have to agree with Chuck on this one. I don't foresee KBD producing enough whiskey for their needs. Secondly they have established brands that they need that purchased whiskey for to maintain the profile.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-26-2012 at 08:34.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I going to have to agree with Chuck on this one. I don't foresee KBD producing enough whiskey for their needs. Secondly they have established brands that they need that purchased whiskey for to maintain the profile.
    Really...you know for a fact that they aren't going to be able to produce enough whiskey to satisfy their distribution needs? You know for a fact that they're locked into a specific profile for said brands? Didn't your beloved WT just make some changes to their products?

By my math they'll be able to produce roughly 4600 barrels a year which is a pretty good amount of whiskey. Now it's going to take some time, at a minimum 4yrs before we start seeing KBD distilled bourbon making it's way into their bottles. I would have a hard time believing that they're doing this and still plan on being dependent on other distilleries to meet their needs.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

Really...you know for a fact that they aren't going to be able to produce enough whiskey to satisfy their distribution needs? You know for a fact that they're locked into a specific profile for said brands? Didn't your beloved WT just make some changes to their products?

By my math they'll be able to produce roughly 4600 barrels a year which is a pretty good amount of whiskey. Now it's going to take some time, at a minimum 4yrs before we start seeing KBD distilled bourbon making it's way into their bottles. I would have a hard time believing that they're doing this and still plan on being dependent on other distilleries to meet their needs.
    We don't know for a fact that they've started barreling anything yet. Why would they want to change what has been a very successful business model for them?

Seems much more likely to me that if they do start/have started distilling, they will keep the NDP/Bottler thing going and add their own product to the mix in brands like Kentucky Vintage and/or use their own distilled stuff for new brands.

Of course I have no right to ask or speculate about such things.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

Yeah, look for the KBD sourced Willet Estate bottlings any day now.

Man, the KoolAid is strong in this thread.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?