Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-21-2012 at 14:19.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.
    That is the BEST news I have heard all day! I just bought two bottles and was going to bunker them....now I get to crack one open! Happy days are here again!
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Enthusiast

Unfortunately Chuck, it has been dropped in Michigan.
    Not sure how difficult it is to get back on the list but the State usually doesn't drop and add a product due to limited allocation. Certainly if demand was up, they would keep it on the list.
    Down the road, I hope I am proven wrong.
    Tim

Irreverent One

Printing labels so fast that there's no time to stop the presses and switch to the new one, and thus no point in submitting a COLA application for that?

Because if you search the TTB database, from 15 March 2011 (application for the new 101 bourbon label) through today, there isn't one for the rye in 101 proof. Just the 81.

Maybe they're telling the truth...but I'm picking up a few bottles on the way home anyway...
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Hopefully distributors are told of the difference and don't just start accidentally ordering 81 in the place of 101 as it seems PA is already doing. I REALLY hope 101 does stay around!!!!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Maybe they're telling the truth...
    I remind myself that this is the same outfit that, in 1992, pulled the switcheroo:

Years 8 Old

to

Old No. 8 Brand

They fooled me once. Shame on 'em. They won't fool me twice.

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    but I'm picking up a few bottles on the way home anyway...
    Store had six, I bought 'em all. Even if they don't discontinue the 101 at least I've avoided the inevitable price increase.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

I hope you're right. The Midwest Campari rep was quoted saying 101 Rye is being dropped completely. He stated this at Distill America in Madison on Sat. night.

Connoisseur

It's completely disappeared in some stores here, almost overnight. Hoarding?

How have the most recent bottles been? I heard there was some variability.

Virtuoso

Maybe I'm reading the pricing wrong, but it looks like the MI minimum for the 81 is the same as the 101 was ($20.96). That's BS.

For what it's worth my regular haunts have been out of stock on the 101 for a couple of weeks. This isn't unusual around here: WT Rye always seems to suffer from supply hiccups. I'll be curious to see if the 81 shows up in its place, and what the pricing will be.

To bad_scientist: in my opinion the rye does vary but not as much as the 101 bourbon does. Not that the bourbon is bad, but some bottles are really good where others are just okay.

Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Brisko;275977]Maybe I'm reading the pricing wrong, but it looks like the MI minimum for the 81 is the same as the 101 was ($20.96). That's BS.

My understanding is the State tends to set the price, usually based on the product's or company's popularity and potential sales volume, hence Beam prices tend to be higher than many other states and less well known products tend toward the lower end of the range.
    Popularity is also why we have every available flavored Beam product known to mankind and limited HH products.