Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Control state listing is always a problem. The states limit how many slots each company gets and sometimes a company has to drop something to get something else in.

As for whether or not they're really keeping the 101, by 'official' I mean I got the information from a Campari spokesperson. When they tell me something unequivocal and what they tell me makes sense, I tend to believe it.

In their zeal to get people to order the 81, some reps may be bad-mouthing the 101. Also (and we see this here all the time) people tend to believe things they get into their heads despite copious evidence to the contrary.

They would be nuts to drop the 101. First, that proof point is a Wild Turkey trademark. They're acknowledging that with the 81 (rather than 80), so it's clear they get it. Second, there would be no reason to drop the 101. You don't drop a product that's selling well and growing. They've got enough stock. They don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I worried a little when Campari bought Turkey and their U.S. arm, which primarily handles Skyy Vodka, took over. I was afraid they wouldn't know enough about bourbon. But they're doing well, they waited a couple years before doing anything, and now they're making all the right moves. Clearly, they're making a lot more spirit in their shiny new distillery and they're making sure that, as it matures, they'll have a market for it.

I'm sure Jimmy and Eddie are keeping them on the straight and narrow too.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Even if they don't discontinue the 101 at least I've avoided the inevitable price increase.
    Plus, I like the old (i.e., current) label better.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Control state listing is always a problem. The states limit how many slots each company gets and sometimes a company has to drop something to get something else in.
    Am I correct to assume that some states (Pennsylvania?) will conceivably only carry the 81 and not the 101? If so, that is very disappointing, but far better than the 101 completely going away.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Quote Originally Posted by soad View Post
    Am I correct to assume that some states (Pennsylvania?) will conceivably only carry the 81 and not the 101? If so, that is very disappointing, but far better than the 101 completely going away.
    Anything is possible.

Connoisseur

Already started wiping out all the 101 rye in the Lancaster area. I was able to scrounge up 3 bottles so far this evening. Over the next few days, I plan to cut a swath of bottle hoarding several counties wide.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

WHile SC is not a control state, all liquor must go through one of several "approved" whole-sellers and they have limits on how much they can bring in so they may drop the 101 since they plan to offer the 81. I went ahead and bought a case. If it is still available then I still have it and it won't go bad. If not it gives me a little life extension....

Connoisseur

Got 6 more bottles tonight. I'm on a spree!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.
    Well I thought Jimmy Russell was just in marketing mode while talking to me about the 101 rye but I guess he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Back in April I was talking with Jimmy Russell while holding a bottle of 101 Rye in my hand and he commented that he expects a shortage of the product in the near future. I didn't press him for details but you can take that for whatever its worth.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

The shortage, of course, will be caused in part by the introduction of 81, but the 81 will produce more bottles from the same amount of whiskey, and I'd be shocked if the price difference reflects the true value difference, so it's a smart way to make a little more money from a scarce resource. "Shortage" doesn't necessarily mean bare shelves. There has been a shortage of Maker's Mark for decades, in as much as they always have more ordered than they can supply, and have to allocate what they have, but do you ever have any trouble finding Maker's Mark?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    WHile SC is not a control state, all liquor must go through one of several "approved" whole-sellers and they have limits on how much they can bring in so they may drop the 101 since they plan to offer the 81. I went ahead and bought a case. If it is still available then I still have it and it won't go bad. If not it gives me a little life extension....
    Whaaa?

Yes, while the sale of liquor must go through licensed spirits' wholesalers (if that's what you mean by 'approved'), as far as I know, they don't have limits as to how much they can bring in.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY