Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Rit BiB is 4 yo...
    I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe that's all they're legally required to put in the bottle, but conventional wisdom is that it's designed to be bottled at about 6 years old. Do you mean a particular blip in time, like when about 3 years ago some bottles suddenly got lighter in color and sharper to the taste?

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 03-04-2012 at 16:18.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    How do you know what weasel pee tastes like?
    At a previous job, my boss would always pour a cup of coffee from the company coffee maker and complain about how it tastes like weasel pee. I had a cup out of curiosity, and it in fact did taste REALLY bad. So THAT is how I know what weasel pee tastes like (Totally scientific, I know!). I also did do plumbing for a while between jobs so I can also tell you what human byproduct tastes like as well, and the "weasel pee" coffee wasn't too far off.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe that's all they're legally required to put in the bottle, but conventional wisdom is that it's designed to be bottled at about 6 years old. Do you mean a particular blip in time, like when about 3 years ago some bottles suddenly got lighter in color and sharper to the taste?

Roger
    It may have been "designed" to be 6yrs old, but it would seem that Kentucky has really been caught with their pants down in regards to Rye demand. Current RittBIB, while I like it, does not taste 6 years to me.

As for the Baby Saz 6yr age, I keep seeing the same quotes on this site. "I read somewhere..." This is purely a guess, but let me put forth the theory that Baby Saz has not been 6yr for some time. Having tasted Baby Saz releases over the last few years, I think we should put this urban legend to rest.

Baby Saz is 4 years and a day, just like all the other majors' main Ryes. Supply is simply too low. And if you believe that Diageo's Bulleit is 5 to 6 years, I've got a great bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    And if you believe that Diageo's Bulleit is 5 to 6 years, I've got a great bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.
    No, no, no, you don't want that old bridge. It's over 100 years old and going to collapse any day now.

I, on the other hand, can offer you an outstanding deal on some south Florida real estate, conveniently located midway between Miami and Everglades City.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It may have been "designed" to be 6yrs old, but it would seem that Kentucky has really been caught with their pants down in regards to Rye demand. Current RittBIB, while I like it, does not taste 6 years to me.

As for the Baby Saz 6yr age, I keep seeing the same quotes on this site. "I read somewhere..." This is purely a guess, but let me put forth the theory that Baby Saz has not been 6yr for some time. Having tasted Baby Saz releases over the last few years, I think we should put this urban legend to rest.

Baby Saz is 4 years and a day, just like all the other majors' main Ryes. Supply is simply too low. And if you believe that Diageo's Bulleit is 5 to 6 years, I've got a great bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.
    Agreed. With any NAS, trust your tastebuds and nothing else. If you want to make an age claim, WT, put it on the label.

Virtuoso

Shoot, Josh even started a thread to this effect a while back. I actually (sort of) disagree on Baby Saz based on the newest bottle I have. It seems more mature than I remember, and more mature than the competition. Of course, any student of the art of Gillmanization realizes that it doesn't take a huge amount of older whiskey to balance out a base of younger stock.

Of course Rittenhouse can't do that because it's BiB... it doesn't taste 6 y/o to me but then again I am no expert.
    Last edited by Brisko; 03-05-2012 at 10:42.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Here is Eddie Russell's clarification:

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

So stock up for a year, not for forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

I'll hold my breath.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

So could that be the reason there is a TTB COLA (with the new WT logo) for the 81 rye but not for a 101 rye.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

If this remains the case then it is most certainly good news. But, there is an SBer who's posts state "it'll never be cheaper than it is today" or something like that. I can't imagine it would return in 2013 for less than it is now, and will probably increase in $$$. I believe I'll stock enough for somewhere between a year and forever.