Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here is Eddie Russell's clarification:

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

So stock up for a year, not for forever.
    WOOT! Best news I've heard for a while. Hopefully they get some 101 rollin' in 2013 or 2014. I'm stocked well enough until about 2020 or so.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

OK, so I'm just trying to understand how this will work. Per Eddie Russell's original statement, they are going to use older rye stocks to offset to loss of proof in the new WTR 81. So, presumably, the older stocks (whatever that means) are going to be depleted for WTR 81.

When the shortage of rye improves (presumably meaning there is more 4 YO aged rye available), they'll bring back WTR 101. So, for this to happen, WT needed to ramp up rye production back in 2009 in order to meet this increased demand they correctly expected to see if WTR 101 has a shot of being re-introduced in 2013 (as I'm understanding that they weren't producing enough rye in 2008 in order to meet current demand for WTR 101 in 2012).

So, is my thinking completely off, or does anybody know if WT did in fact increase rye production in 2009? Also, if the production halt is supposed to be temporary, why wasn't the initial statement that WT was bringing out WTR 81 just until they could get sufficient rye stocks to support both products? Sure seems like they created a lot of confusion for such a simple explanation.
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Enthusiast

What am I not getting about this quote? Seems that if there is a shortage of rye, they would be UPPING production - rather than saying there's none in production or scheduled?

Is he referring ONLY to bottling (vs. distilling)? If it's bottling, that makes sense - but I wish he would address the distilling questions: did they up the creation of rye in the past few years?

Sounds like hogwash to me - this makes far too much business sense for them to back peddle in to 101 in 12 months (or whatever) given all the other factors...

Just my $.02, but WT has never been good about bringing back GOOD products they've dropped... I'm stocking up for the millennium.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by rocky480 View Post
    Sure seems like they created a lot of confusion for such a simple explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Sounds like hogwash to me...
    Their explanation for why the 8/101 is bottled only for export is equally lame.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

I've probably said too much on this thread already, but I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head.

"We don't have enough of our product to go around, so we're going to divert the existing stock into a watered down version instead of just allocating."

I guess "give 'em the bird" isn't just a marketing slogan, it's a brand management strategy, too.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I've probably said too much on this thread already, but I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head.

"We don't have enough of our product to go around, so we're going to divert the existing stock into a watered down version instead of just allocating."

I guess "give 'em the bird" isn't just a marketing slogan, it's a brand management strategy, too.
    Post of the month right there. Thanks!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I second the Post-of-the-Month nomination. You should use that as your signature.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

The changeover to 81 proof certainly frosts my ass too but it is what is is...a well strategized and most probably focus group tested business decision. And you can't expect the Russell's as the highest of brand spokespersons to bite the hand that feeds them. I'm sure they loved doing the finger routine as much as we did .

WT Rye has been below radar even within whatever Rye renaissance has happened. The few stores here that carry it have the same bottles as they did 5 years ago while Ritt and Templeton flew off the shelf. The majority of American whiskey drinkers don't know or care that Wild Turkey made a 101 proof Rye. If Templeton can be a wildly popular allocated Rye at 80 proof...why not Wild Turkey. Most spirits are at 80 proof and unless the macro whiskey world experiences what happened in the beer world is there any need for them to consider enthusiast wishes on lower to mid shelf products. Sad but true...and maybe too, in spite of all the strategy, it will work out as good as (ri)1 did for Beam .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

LOL!!! We will see the WT101 new production on the shelf right after they ship the new release of RR101....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Bad news, kids: according to Eddie Russell (technically a Campari spokesperson, but with perhaps a bit more authority) the WT101 rye is going away to be replaced by 81 proof -- and he is in on the change. Jimmy was standing next to him as he told us at Julio's in MA last night.

He acknowledged that it would be unpopular but asked us to taste it before complaining.

My take on the rationale is similar to their explanation for the WT81: they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.

This right here is why companies have PR departments. Figure out what the story is and then stick with it, for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Most spirits are at 80 proof and unless the macro whiskey world experiences what happened in the beer world is there any need for them to consider enthusiast wishes on lower to mid shelf products. Sad but true...and maybe too, in spite of all the strategy, it will work out as good as (ri)1 did for Beam .
    My gut tells me that most of the increase 101 sales were driven by enthusiasts. Based on the highly unscientific sample of this board alone, people seem to prefer the 101 rye to the Russell's Reserve by a wide margin. Campari may see it (the 101) as a lower tier product but I'd be curious to see who's actually buying it.

All right, I'm going to stop with the now.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.