Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Wild Turkey 81 Rye is on the list of whiskies that will be at booth 52 during Chicago WhiskyFest. Two and half weeks and I'll know if it is worth buying.

Virtuoso

I suspect if you take 101 down to 81 PF by adding water you will have a pretty good idea of how the 81 will taste.... at its best...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    ....at its best...
    Aye, there's the rub.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here is Eddie Russell's clarification:

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

So stock up for a year, not for forever.
    I'm still suspicious that there is no TTB COLA application for a new-style rye label at 101 proof.

Is it possible that the allocation is for control states where they are unable to quickly make the switch to 81?
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    LOL!!! We will see the WT101 new production on the shelf right after they ship the new release of RR101....
    i tend to agree. however, much easier to go keep up production with a 4 yo product vs a 10 yo.

at the end of the day, the majority of the buying public are less informed than the posters on this board and apparently they want lower proof whiskey. and since lower proof whiskey saves the distiller some money...

Advanced Taster

to be on the safe side, i got a case + of the 101. got a 10% discount so even using my credit card, i paid $18.99/bottle.

best part of the purchase was that in my "hunt" for the wt rye 101 (went to 5 stores closest to my work and house), i stumbled upon a pvw 20 yo and got it for original msrp. don't know how that baby lasted that long.

Enthusiast

I had an interesting experience with WT Rye 101 today. I stopped by one of the larger stores in town. I didn't see any on the shelf so I stopped by the register to have them look at the inventory before I left. The lady that helped me was very nice and helpful. After talking for less than a minute it was clear that she did not have a clue when it came to the world of whiskey, which is more than fine. She asked if I would like to have them order some and I gave her the 20 second version of what happened to explain the 0 btls in inventory and to also avoid placing the special order since that wasn't important to me and would probably be a waste of time anyway.

She looked at me and asked, "how are they going to discontinue the 101 Rye? Isn't 101 proof their thing?"

I asked her, "do you drink WT?" She said, "No, I don't drink whiskey."

We had a moment together.

Even people who aren't WT customers are scratching their heads on this one.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Neat View Post
    to be on the safe side, i got a case + of the 101. got a 10% discount so even using my credit card, i paid $18.99/bottle.

best part of the purchase was that in my "hunt" for the wt rye 101 (went to 5 stores closest to my work and house), i stumbled upon a pvw 20 yo and got it for original msrp. don't know how that baby lasted that long.
    For $18.99 you got the best value in quality rye whiskey today, IMO. If it does re-appear you still made a great buy. Congrats!!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I can say that, as far as I can tell, Columbia SC is out of WT Rye 101. This surprises me because previously it didn't seem to hardly move on the shelf.

Guru

I wrote Campari asking about this whole thing a while back. This was my email:

To: <wildturkeybourbon@qualitycustomercare.com>
    cc:
    Date: 2/21/2012 2:09:42 PM

Wild Turkey folks,

A few control states have started listing Wild Turkey Rye as 81 proof instead
    of 101 proof. Is it really changing or are those just mistakes?

Joshua
    This morning I received this email.

Dear Joshua,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us about Wild Turkey Rye. There is a Wild Turkey 81 proof but Wild Turkey Rye is 101 proof.

Thank you again for contacting Campari America

Sincerely,

Jodi
    Campari America
    Consumer Relations
    Thanks Jodi.

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog