Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Went by my local liquor store last night and there was a sign at both WT Rye 101 and Ritt BiB that said distributor out of stock. I wonder if the sudden availability of Ritt BiB a couple of months ago was a very temporary thing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Went by my local liquor store last night and there was a sign at both WT Rye 101 and Ritt BiB that said distributor out of stock. I wonder if the sudden availability of Ritt BiB a couple of months ago was a very temporary thing.
    That may have been the drop for the year. That's how it's going now with rye. If you happen to get there on the day it drops, it looks like they have plenty, but when it's gone it's gone until the next release.

As someone else mentioned, the distilleries are still only making rye maybe four to six days a year, half in each distilling season. All of it gets barreled at the same time and all of it matures at the same time so this is probably what we're going to see until demand and supply even out a bit more, one of two releases a year of most rye brands.

Virtuoso

I stopped by one of my usual haunts in Minneapolis this afternoon and they had the new 81 proof rye for $19.99. I don't recall precisely how the 101 was priced because I never bought it there before, but I think it was the same price.

As curious as I am to test their claims that the 81 will taste better, I'm going to have a really hard time paying the same price for it as the 101 was. I'm curious about how it will be priced elsewhere-- I had a couple places where I could find it for $16.99, when it was in stock.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I stopped by one of my usual haunts in Minneapolis this afternoon and they had the new 81 proof rye for $19.99. I don't recall precisely how the 101 was priced because I never bought it there before, but I think it was the same price.

As curious as I am to test their claims that the 81 will taste better, I'm going to have a really hard time paying the same price for it as the 101 was. I'm curious about how it will be priced elsewhere-- I had a couple places where I could find it for $16.99, when it was in stock.
    16.99 is a great price. when the 101 is available here, it goes for about $20. i bought a case recently bc i didn't want to deal with either a discontinuation or shortage and they gave me 10% off.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.
    Good news. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a year. I probably won't be buying the 81 at $20 a pop unless it gets rave reviews, though.

At any rate I am done beating this dead horse.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I don't drink the 101 stuff. But, for a lousy 20 bucks I'll pick up a bottle of the 81, and see what I think.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

WT 101 Rye just got restocked in a couple of stores around here, to the tune of 20-30 bottles each. No need to reinforce your roof for skies that are falling...

Advanced Taster

I've never been able to find the 101 around me so it's no loss to me personally, but I do feel your angst. I did pick up a bottle of 81 today. I'll Have to give it a few drinks before I judge it. It's not knocking my socks off so far though.

Advanced Taster

Angry Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

I was relieved when I read the online inventory of my closest stores, they listed they had restocked with plenty of the WT 101. Unfortunately, when I got to the store, there was no 101 but the WT 81 Rye!!!