Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

When this thread first started, I went out and bought what I could find (5), and I have four left. The more I read this thread, the more hesitant I am to open another one.

Perhaps WT is a victim of its own success and simply doesn't have enough aged stocks - the question is whether their recent expansion will help them rectify this situation at some point in the future, or whether we're seeing what WT will now be on the lower shelf - not the QPR it once was and may never be again.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Well guys, I've got some bad news. I was able to break into Wild Turkey's computer system and download a document talking about their future rye strategy. I've attached the most important slide. Read it and weep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Well guys, I've got some bad news. I was able to break into Wild Turkey's computer system and download a document talking about their future rye strategy. I've attached the most important slide. Read it and weep.
    Ha! That is funny, thanks for posting!
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-26-2012 at 15:04.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Bad news, kids: according to Eddie Russell (technically a Campari spokesperson, but with perhaps a bit more authority) the WT101 rye is going away to be replaced by 81 proof -- and he is in on the change. Jimmy was standing next to him as he told us at Julio's in MA last night.

He acknowledged that it would be unpopular but asked us to taste it before complaining.

My take on the rationale is similar to their explanation for the WT81: they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.
    Just so no one forgets, I'm quoting this post from page six. Well, Eddie, we tasted it. Now can we complain?

/actually I haven't tasted it, but the response here has been pretty much unanimous that it isn't just bad, it's truly awful.

Is there anyone out there that finds the WTR 81 even remotely palatable?
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Folks, I think it's time we have a mass write-in to Wild Turkey complaining about the 81 rye. I am completely serious. How do I spread the word so we get the maximum amount of emails???
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    ...but asked us to taste it...
    Hopefully he apologized, that was just downright mean
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-27-2012 at 13:50.

Virtuoso

Saw one lonely WTR101 on a shelf surrounded by bottles of 81 today. It looked so sad, I had to bring it home.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Found 2 bottles of 101 today, never tried it before but figured I would pick one up just in case I dont' have the chance again...

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Found 2 bottles of 101 today, never tried it before but figured I would pick one up just in case I dont' have the chance again...
    Try that one soon or you might end up regretting not grabbing both!
    Jim

Virtuoso

For whatever reason, I am going to have to give up on WT 101 Rye. I have tried several bottles over the course of the last 2 years and each time, as odd as it may sound, I end up with a headache before I go to bed. I have tried many an evening with & without the Turkey and each time is consistent. Don't know what it is or why. At first, I thought it was just the one bottle or maybe even the next one. Now, after probably a half dozen more, same results. The other bottles were eventually consumed by visitors who didnt know the difference in rye & bourbon.

I have 3 more unopened that I stockpiled last spring when I read it was going away. I am not going to open these now hard to find bottles for unappreciative house guests....if you know what I mean. If anyone is interested in a trade, send me a PM.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard