Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

I was told much the same thing about the return of Tanqueray Malacca gin by the Tanqueray brand ambassador (admittedly he said it was to be "primarily" focused on the bar/restaurant market). Today I saw it on the shelf at two different stores. It is supposedly a limited release anyway so perhaps stores didn't get much. But I could at least get it.

WT's plan sounds like a perfect set up for grey/black market sale of the 101 if and when it finally returns.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Van Winkles are being allotted in specific numbers to restaurants versus retailers (though they haven't cut the retailer off...yet). Julian has mentioned it is an intended way by them to get the product to more people.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

That brand just made my 'not worth the trouble to acquire' list.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Van Winkles are being allotted in specific numbers to restaurants versus retailers (though they haven't cut the retailer off...yet). Julian has mentioned it is an intended way by them to get the product to more people.
    as he mentioned the "on premise" only bit, I did think for a brief second how that would actually work-since it's not really done.

But then the above popped in my head also. It can "allocated". Somehow.

Just have to what and see i guess.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

And we with our bunkers shouldn't underestimate the importance of bar business as a most important driving factor in keeping a brand in the public eye. Here is an interesting take on the whole Maker's debacle, from an economics guy at the Washington Post, Neil Irwin, and it being caused by Beam's need for the brand to be available as an affordable pour at a bar. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rate-strategy/
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That sucks. Good thing they can't actually do it. The best they can do is tell distributors that is their strategy and the pricing may work in such a way that adhering to the strategy is the best deal for the distributors. One thing they can do is only sell it in 1L bottles, which is the standard on-premise size and generally not sold off-premise, but there's no reason it can't be. I guarantee Binny's will have it on the shelf as soon as it's available. I can also guarantee we won't like the price. The hipster mixologists won't like the price either and may find a substitute, in which case WT won't be able to get it into off-premise fast enough. Best laid plans and all that. But interesting news nonetheless.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    That sucks. Good thing they can't actually do it. The best they can do is tell distributors that is their strategy and the pricing may work in such a way that adhering to the strategy is the best deal for the distributors. One thing they can do is only sell it in 1L bottles, which is the standard on-premise size and generally not sold off-premise, but there's no reason it can't be. I guarantee Binny's will have it on the shelf as soon as it's available. I can also guarantee we won't like the price. The hipster mixologists won't like the price either and may find a substitute, in which case WT won't be able to get it into off-premise fast enough. Best laid plans and all that. But interesting news nonetheless.
    So if we are to look on the bright side of life, WT will be producing 101 rye and it will be distributed in some fashion nationwide.....I'm going to ignore all the other bad aspects of this and focus just on that....
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

WT Rye, along with Jim Beam Rye, are the brands I started my journey down the Rye road with. I'm not saying I'll never buy WT again if it returns in its 101 glory but it will not be anywhere close to the top of my list. I think a lot will depend on what the price is and if the flavor changes. My guess is if it ever come back to market it will sit somewhere around $30-$35.

Enthusiast

Surprised no one else posted it, but the K&L email today mentioned the return of the 101. As said above it sounds like it's not going to be a regularly available product.

"Wild Turkey 101 Rye is making a final hurrah we’ve heard. We’re expecting a large shipment next week, so those of you who have spent the past few years missing your kickin’ chicken can get a bottle before it goes away. More on that as it approaches. We’re battling between every other bar and retailer that wants their own as well."

Virtuoso

Good lord. It's good rye, but it doesn't warrant the VW/BTAC treatment. It was a deal at $17 but I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it, if even that.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.