Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

If WT had a soul they should offer all the retailers with this vile stuff on the shleves a buy back and put it in the wonderful Forgiven

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    If WT had a soul they should offer all the retailers with this vile stuff on the shleves a buy back and put it in the wonderful Forgiven
    I can't say as I'm a fan, but when I was trying to "find my rye" way, I did pick up a WTR81 . . . and I did like it more than OO I guess that is damning praise, but better than none
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Bump, here. It's fall, 2013, and no sign of the 101 returning. However, I had a delightful lunch at the Evans Street Station in Tecumseh, Michigan, and on our way out, I spotted and old friend, a nearly full bottle of WT101 Rye on the back bar. The green label just shone forth. But alas, the owner didn't really know how long he'd had it. After I got home, I wondered if there was a hidden stash in some liquor store in Tecumseh, which is, after all, a small village off the beaten path.
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Well, despite Chuck's rosy predictions, the year is more than half gone and still no 101 rye. Maybe in the Fall?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner View Post
    Bump, here. It's fall, 2013, and no sign of the 101 returning. However, I had a delightful lunch at the Evans Street Station in Tecumseh, Michigan, and on our way out, I spotted and old friend, a nearly full bottle of WT101 Rye on the back bar. The green label just shone forth. But alas, the owner didn't really know how long he'd had it. After I got home, I wondered if there was a hidden stash in some liquor store in Tecumseh, which is, after all, a small village off the beaten path.
    Thanks for catching that, a month into fall, no less. I guess we'll just have to wait for winter.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Wild Turkey Rye 81

Am really liking this, and I've been down on WT these last years. Full round taste, not "immature", not (evidently) super-aged. Good solid rye probably very similar to 1800's versions.

Give credit where due.

Gary

P.S. Apart from possible value issues, I don't get the critique of this replacing (to a large degree it seems if not 100%) the 101. I don't drink whiskey neat at 100 proof or higher, never did really. We are not really paying more either since the 81 replaces clearly the 80 and seems about the same money that was. I've read the formulation of the 81 is different. How that can be I don't really know, but anyway the 81 is a solid straight drink IMO.

Disciple

Re: Wild Turkey Rye 81

Just goes to show that everyone's taste are different. Which is a very good thing. To me the WTR81 is one of the worse ryes I've ever tried but that's good for you.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Am really liking this, and I've been down on WT these last years. Full round taste, not "immature", not (evidently) super-aged. Good solid rye probably very similar to 1800's versions.

Give credit where due.
    Gary, This showed up recently at LCBO is that where you bought your bottle?
    By chance did you also get the newly arrived Knob Creek Rye?

Yes I did, LCBO. I didn't buy the KC rye, which I've tasted in Kentucky. To me it has the signature Beam rye taste which I get in Overholt and all other versions of rye from Chez Beam. I find it a muddy, odd taste, just not for me.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    P.S. Apart from possible value issues, I don't get the critique of this replacing (to a large degree it seems if not 100%) the 101. I don't drink whiskey neat at 100 proof or higher, never did really. We are not really paying more either since the 81 replaces clearly the 80 and seems about the same money that was. I've read the formulation of the 81 is different. How that can be I don't really know, but anyway the 81 is a solid straight drink IMO.
    Gary, I can't speak for anyone else, but I often prefer to take my whiskey with an ice cube or two, but anything under 100 proof doesn't really fare well in that presentation (to my palate).

But, given your praise here, I may revisit the 81 rye.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Fair point and I must say all my comments are premised on neat tasting (no ice).

Gary