Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'm not really affected by what appears to be the oncoming demise of WTR, as I really don't drink it. Honestly, I don't drink much current WT product at all. But, I feel for you who like this whiskey, and more importantly, I feel for US. I don't know if it's Campari or Wild Turkey, but they're not doing much to instill faith in US, the "enthusiasts", out here. Besides the one-off Tribute, American Spirit, and Traditions (3 releases in 8 years, BTW), what have they done for US lately? I can't think of a Thing. They don't even seem to be trying, which make me think the worst----they don't even care....about US. The good stuff is being exported, what's left is being reduced in age and proof, the advertising is juvenile, and US don't seem to be part of the program. Really, too bad. While BT, HH, 4R, and even Beam are out trying to bring whiskies to enthusiasts, pushing the envelope, growing the product while still keeping an eye on, and an ear to, US, Turkey does indeed seem, as Brisko so cleverly proclaimed, to be giving US the bird.

Fine. Right back atcha!!
    THIS. they seem to be focusing purely on volume and profit (i.e., cater to the masses). the others seem to realize (or think) that by getting US excited and getting the press, that their bottom line will improve.

i still like WT. it ain't as good as it used to be. ticking me off that i have to go overseas and worry about packing, quantity and customs to get wt 12yo or wt 8yo.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Neat View Post
    THIS. they seem to be focusing purely on volume and profit (i.e., cater to the masses). the others seem to realize (or think) that by getting US excited and getting the press, that their bottom line will improve.

i still like WT. it ain't as good as it used to be. ticking me off that i have to go overseas and worry about packing, quantity and customs to get wt 12yo or wt 8yo.
    Can't help but notice that the #1 selling "bourbon" ('cuz the Lincoln County Process doesn't undo anything in the regs) in the world has dropped in proof over the years, never had an age statement, and only sells enthusiast bottles overseas and in duty-free. Wouldn't be surprising if Campari noticed it, too -- isn't the US parent named after neutral spirits in a blue bottle wearing fetish gear? (Different kind of enthusiast...)

I think some of US undervalue the availability of WTKS and WTRB -- whether it was better in the past or not -- and the fact that neither Russell has been rung up on harassment charges.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yes, by 'production' Eddie means dumping and bottling. As for distilling, They're making more rye every year than they did the previous year, as is everyone else. Are they making enough? Only time will tell.

The 101 rye won't entirely disappear in stores, some markets won't notice a shortage at all. This just means that that distillery has put out all that it can for this year. That's the distillery. They don't know how much the distributors and retailers still have. Maybe a lot.

If people get all worked up and buy even more WT rye 101 than they normally would, no one at the distillery or at Campari will be unhappy.

I know this will fall on many deaf ears, but there is nothing weird or sinister here. It's the nature of the aging cycle. The long talked-about rye renaissance is finally showing up in sales.

Enthusiast

The 101 Rye is everywhere over here. I'll buy a couple of bottles just in case.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by deathevocation View Post
    The 101 Rye is everywhere over here. I'll buy a couple of bottles just in case.
    It WAS everywhere here in Montgomery County MD too, until this thread.

Just a few stores have a quickly dwindling supply.

I am going to grab myself one last bottle today!

Virtuoso

The nice part about the WT 101 Rye is that for $20 a bottle a few stocked in the bunker provide cheap insurance should it not reappear......
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    The nice part about the WT 101 Rye is that for $20 a bottle a few stocked in the bunker provide cheap insurance should it not reappear......

Exactly. I've bought six bottles at $17.25 since this thread took off. Even if it never leaves the shelves here,at that price, no harm, no foul.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Yes, by 'production' Eddie means dumping and bottling. As for distilling, They're making more rye every year than they did the previous year, as is everyone else. Are they making enough? Only time will tell.

The 101 rye won't entirely disappear in stores, some markets won't notice a shortage at all. This just means that that distillery has put out all that it can for this year. That's the distillery. They don't know how much the distributors and retailers still have. Maybe a lot.

If people get all worked up and buy even more WT rye 101 than they normally would, no one at the distillery or at Campari will be unhappy.

I know this will fall on many deaf ears, but there is nothing weird or sinister here. It's the nature of the aging cycle. The long talked-about rye renaissance is finally showing up in sales.
    Considering your credentials, gonna go with your info and not panic. Sometimes I think it is forgotten that in order to keep supplying us with great whiskey, these companies have to make a profit first of all.

Enthusiast

Regardless of if/when it comes back - it's hard to find now and getting harder.

WT Rye is my "go to" - has been for a few years now, and I'm very disturbed by them dropping a product that "has grown 20% in the last year."

Sometimes you gotta do the wrong thing for the right reason - I get it, it's business first, but none of the other majors have "damaged" their products the way WT does to meet "perceived" consumer need/interest.

What would the enthusiast community say if 4R or Pappy 15 "dropped proof to meet production"? It's an absolute crime, IMHO, to screw over a perfectly good, and growing, product (and its consumers) in favor of trying to please a different segment (and make no mistake - the target for an 81 proof rye is very different than a 101 proof rye). Even baby Saz is 90. I can certainly see offering both (like OWA and WSR), but eschewing one over the other? Pitiful. Plus, not like they are balancing against an age statement (like the Wellers).

It may be good business, but it's crappy management and bad judgement for brand integrity - and WT, despite being a long time fave of mine - has shown repeatedly to not have a clue about how to build loyalty with enthusiasts. Hell, even Jim Beam cares more about brand image than WT appears to...

<rant complete>

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    Considering your credentials, gonna go with your info and not panic. Sometimes I think it is forgotten that in order to keep supplying us with great whiskey, these companies have to make a profit first of all.
    No one is saying they shouldn't be profitable.

For example, what if Campari released a limited amount of RR10yr at the old 101proof? They could charge more that the 90 proof expression in order to stay profitable, and with all the fans of the RR101 dusty on this board, they would sell out immediately.

But that's never gonna happen.