Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    I was relieved when I read the online inventory of my closest stores, they listed they had restocked with plenty of the WT 101. Unfortunately, when I got to the store, there was no 101 but the WT 81 Rye!!!
    Wow, I shouldn't have passed up the half dozen or so bottles I've seen in the past few weeks. I put too much trust in Montgomery County sometimes.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Wow, I shouldn't have passed up the half dozen or so bottles I've seen in the past few weeks. I put too much trust in Montgomery County sometimes.
    The really scary thing is they had this priced and labeled (the store's label below the bottles still says WT 101 rye, as does the website) as if this WERE the 101 rye....at $19.95. So no price drop on the WT 81 rye. Weren't most of us expecting SOME sort of a price drop with the cut in proof? I don't think the store was trying to deceive us, I honestly think they didn't notice the difference.

Unless it goes on sale or I buy a bunch of different stuff approaching a case (they give you a case discount including mixed cases), I probably won't be trying this anytime soon. When you can get comparably proofed Pikesville or Beam rye for less than half of this price, I'm just not a believer that this will be twice as good.
    Last edited by boneuphtoner; 04-04-2012 at 05:48.

Connoisseur

Pikesville FTW!! Love that stuff!!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    The really scary thing is they had this priced and labeled (the store's label below the bottles still says WT 101 rye, as does the website) as if this WERE the 101 rye....at $19.95. So no price drop on the WT 81 rye. Weren't most of us expecting SOME sort of a price drop with the cut in proof? I don't think the store was trying to deceive us, I honestly think they didn't notice the difference.
    I've seen the label (says "RYE", not "81") and I was there when Eddie talked about the change. I think that Campari is planning to slide this into the Rye-Formerly-Known-As-101 slot, including its pricing. If Chuck's information is correct and the 101 comes back in 2013, I would expect a new label and a new (higher) price point.

While this sucks, it's no different than potato chips and candy bars shrinking in serving size at the same price point.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Connoisseur

Saw this today at a local store too. Same price as the 101. The packaging looks similar to their new styles too.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think you can count on it that when the 101 rye reappears, it will be in new packaging and at a higher price.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I think you can count on it that when the 101 rye reappears, it will be in new packaging and at a higher price.
    So do you think it would it replace the current product, then? Because I can't see them having three ryes in the stable.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Including the RR, there are three. Whether in new label or returning old label (2013), you have 81, 101, & RR.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Including the RR, there are three. Whether in new label or returning old label (2013), you have 81, 101, & RR.
    That's exactly my point. Why have both the 81 and 101 in such a small segment? So would the 101 replace the 81 when it comes back?

And Kevin is spot on with the label. It's all about the "Rye" not about the proof-- in direct contrast to the bourbons where the 81 and the 101 are quite prominent.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    That's exactly my point. Why have both the 81 and 101 in such a small segment? So would the 101 replace the 81 when it comes back?

And Kevin is spot on with the label. It's all about the "Rye" not about the proof-- in direct contrast to the bourbons where the 81 and the 101 are quite prominent.
    Hard to believe they would go to that much trouble for a 12-18 month stopgap. I would think that both will remain and the 101 availability will vary with supply.