Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    So do you think it would it replace the current product, then? Because I can't see them having three ryes in the stable.
    Yes, it will replace the current product but it won't really be a new product itself, just a new label consistent with the new family look.

WT doesn't have any control over this, but my guess is that distributors are steering what 101 Rye they have toward the on-premise customers. That's because a liquor store will usually let you back in after you've been gone for awhile but a bar might not.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Yes, it will replace the current product but it won't really be a new product itself, just a new label consistent with the new family look.

WT doesn't have any control over this, but my guess is that distributors are steering what 101 Rye they have toward the on-premise customers. That's because a liquor store will usually let you back in after you've been gone for awhile but a bar might not.
    So you're saying they created Rye 81 for one year or so? That makes zero sense.

Connoisseur

just picked up the new wt 81 rye. Haven't tasted it yet but it is clearly lighter in color and costs a dollar more.

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    So you're saying they created Rye 81 for one year or so? That makes zero sense.
    Of course I'm not saying that. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. When 101 returns, WT will have three rye expressions, RR Rye, WT Rye 81, and WT Rye 101, but there won't be an additional new label 101. The old 101 won't return in its present form. That's not from them, by the way, that's my conjecture.

Gee, misunderstandings can happen so easily. Let's quickly crucify each other about it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Of course I'm not saying that. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. When 101 returns, WT will have three rye expressions, RR Rye, WT Rye 81, and WT Rye 101, but there won't be an additional new label 101. The old 101 won't return in its present form. That's not from them, by the way, that's my conjecture.

Gee, misunderstandings can happen so easily. Let's quickly crucify each other about it.

Ok, first, 3 ryes is what I expected, once 101 returns. That is what I replied to Brisko's question. Second, you lost me with the 101. When it returns, you say it won't be in its present form. Ok, that would mean new label 101 Rye, but you said that there won't be additional new label 101.

I'm understanding this to mean one new label 101(no additional = 2nd), new label 81, and RR. The word "additional" is throwing me off as right now there is no 101 label(not talking about bottles already in distribution/retail) and whenever it does return it will be an additional label to the current 2, 81 & RR.

We're saying the exact same thing in response to Brisko's question. The WT ryes are RR, 81 and 101. The 101 will probably have a new label and a higher price the next time they bottle it, whenever that is.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    just picked up the new wt 81 rye. Haven't tasted it yet but it is clearly lighter in color and costs a dollar more.
    Ok, to my unsophisticated palette it is good but clearly taste like watered down WT Rye 101, nothing more or less

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Ok, to my unsophisticated palette it is good but clearly taste like watered down WT Rye 101, nothing more or less
    Less whiskey for more money. A-B has made a lot of money doing that in the beer world.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Red face Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

It seems many of our threads are going like this:

Chung Mee: Opium is my business. The bridge mean more traffic. More traffic mean more money. More money mean more power.
    Lawrence Bourne III: Yeah, well, before I commit any of that to memory, would there be anything in this for me?
    Chung Mee: Speed is important in business. Time is money.
    Lawrence Bourne III: You said opium was money.
    Chung Mee: Money is Money.
    Lawrence Bourne III: Well then, what is time again?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Stopped at my local store today, WT RYE 81, damn. I've been picking up 1-2 bottles of 101 per week since the news broke. Left a single bottle of 101 behind Sat, I knew it was a mistake!