Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I was hanging with OscarV last Saturday and he handed me a glencairn with a mysterious straw-colored liqour in it. "Try this and tell me what kind of whiskey this is." I tried it. "Tastes like a weak Irish Whiskey," I said, "no flavor at all really." "It's Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof," he replied. "God, that's terrible," I said. "It is," said Oscar.
    Ah yes, well that certainly *will* be perfect for mixed drinks, as WT insists. Just limit it to recipes that require vodka.

Enthusiast

I'm terrified to go through the Binny's network (really the only place where WT Rye has been available) to see if they have any 101 left. I'm nursing my last bottle, and looking forward to the upcoming Knob Creek Rye, which will be 100 proof.

Connoisseur

Stopped down in Maryland today and found a bottle of the 81 Rye. All I will say- it truly is as bad as you are imagining it to be. It has little flavor or color and is thin and disgusting. I'm glad I stocked up on 101 rye. This is going to be a long few years until the 101 rye is back in production.......
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Irreverent One

Saw this for the first time yesterday. Had originally planned to try it, but after seeing all the negative reports here and elsewhere, decided to pass.

Currently have eight 101s in the bunker.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Saw this for the first time yesterday. Had originally planned to try it, but after seeing all the negative reports here and elsewhere, decided to pass.

Currently have eight 101s in the bunker.
    Very wise move Scott... I dumped my 81 into my Manhattan barrel.... nurse those bunkered 101's...... that is until they show back up on the market
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Much to my shock and surprise, found 2 101s on a shelf yesterday. I now have 3 in storage as I got in late on the news a few months ago. Told the clerk it was "my lucky day". She looked at me quizzically. I paid and left...typical store clerks in my region...not a clue.

Does anyone know with a degree of certainty how long WT aged the 101 rye? I would assume 4-6 years which seems to be the standard (if there is any such thing anymore) for others such as RR, Saz Jr & Ritt BIB. Perhaps the WT101 is simply RR without out as much of a cut. Who knows these days? If it is all the same juice then I suppose the 81 is 'simply' RR cut even further...??
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 06-03-2012 at 12:30.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Much to my shock and surprise, found 2 101s on a shelf yesterday. I now have 3 in storage as I got in late on the news a few months ago. Told the clerk it was "my lucky day". She looked at me quizzically. I paid and left...typical store clerks in my region...not a clue.

Does anyone know with a degree of certainty how long WT aged the 101 rye? I would assume 4-6 years which seems to be the standard (if there is any such thing anymore) for others such as RR, Saz Jr & Ritt BIB. Perhaps the WT101 is simply RR without out as much of a cut. Who knows these days? If it is all the same juice then I suppose the 81 is 'simply' RR cut even further...??
    Well, you know as well as any of us that the only thing we know with certainty is that it was 4 years old. Based on my own limited palate, as well as comments that the producers have made in hyping the new 81, I'd say that it's not any older than that.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

Checked a couple of places where I saw some 101 not long ago and it was gone. Looks like I'll have to snag a couple of these soon since it's drying up.
    Oh well - came home with a Baby Saz that I found unexpectedly, so it wasn't a wasted trip!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Picked up 2 more WTR 101 tonight. Left a few on the shelf, hope it wasn't a mistake.

Apprentice

The store I frequent didn't carry WTR at all until a couple of weeks ago. I bought a bottle of WTR 81 just to try it because this store has a very small rye selection, no Old Overholt or Ritt, just JB Rye. The WTR 81 is awful. It's like a cocktail with Clorox and Vodka. My only other experience with Rye was Russel's Reserve. It didn't fair any better. I just haven't really ran into much rye though.