Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

I've missed so many golden opportunities to bunker in the past. Old Commonwealth, Wild Turkey 12 year old, Ancient Age Barrel 107, among others.

I found four bottles of WT Rye 101 at a Chicagoland place.

Finally, I have something with which to start a bunker.

Novice

I read through all 31 pages of this thread a couple nights ago at work. I had never had rye before and reading this made me very interested, especially in the 101 Turkey Rye. So yesterday I went to my local store and they had two bottles of the 101 on the shelf at $19 a bottle. I bought one and tried it last night. WOW. It was a kick in the mouth and I loved it. I truly hope it is just a pause in production and not a discontinuation. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and grabbing the other bottle and then looking around at a few other places. Great stuff.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
    I read through all 31 pages of this thread a couple nights ago at work. I had never had rye before and reading this made me very interested, especially in the 101 Turkey Rye. So yesterday I went to my local store and they had two bottles of the 101 on the shelf at $19 a bottle. I bought one and tried it last night. WOW. It was a kick in the mouth and I loved it. I truly hope it is just a pause in production and not a discontinuation. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and grabbing the other bottle and then looking around at a few other places. Great stuff.
    Good call Dude, go back and get that other 101 but don't ever let the 81 touch your lips.
    ovh

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Good call Dude, go back and get that other 101 but don't ever let the 81 touch your lips.
    Thanks man, my awesome wife brought me home that other bottle of 101 rye that I left on the shelf a few days ago while on her way home from work. Good girl. Definitely will steer clear of the 81. When I run out of the Turkey 1o1, I'll just have to branch into a different brand...

Virtuoso

I finally tried the 81. It's just awful! Never again!

Connoisseur

What burns me most about Wild Turkey eliminating (for all intensive purposes) the 101 Rye and releasing the 81 is just how disingenuous I believe they have been. Instead of telling the truth, or simply staying silent, about a move we all know was designed to cut costs and extend supply, they instead tell us that we whiskey lovers really wanted a bolder and smoother sipper/mixer. When they said this, were they certain all whiskey lovers would simultaneously lose their sense of taste in worldwide mass industrial accident?

It is fairly obvious that their statements and press releases are BS because Wild Turkey 81 Rye is complete and utter garbage. WT, your new product tastes like 101 diluted with vomit! Come on, Eddie, quit adding "bold" and "smooth" tap water to the 101 Rye so we can get it back on shelves. Oh, while we're at it, how hard is it for your creative team to add an age statement to the label?
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-24-2012 at 19:09.

Connoisseur

My thoughts on this exactly.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Noticed that WTR101 is showing up on eBay as rare and going for $50 or more plus shipping. Hmmmm....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    What burns me most about Wild Turkey eliminating (for all intensive purposes) the 101 Rye and releasing the 81 is just how disingenuous I believe they have been. Instead of telling the truth, or simply staying silent, about a move we all know was designed to cut costs and extend supply, they instead tell us that we whiskey lovers really wanted a bolder and smoother sipper/mixer. When they said this, were they certain all whiskey lovers would simultaneously lose their sense of taste in worldwide mass industrial accident?

It is fairly obvious that their statements and press releases are BS because Wild Turkey 81 Rye is complete and utter garbage. WT, your new product tastes like 101 diluted with vomit! Come on, Eddie, quit adding "bold" and "smooth" tap water to the 101 Rye so we can get it back on shelves. Oh, while we're at it, how hard is it for your creative team to add an age statement to the label?
    I would guess most of us feel the same way. If the 81 was even remotely the same as the 101, just at a lower strength, I doubt any of us would complain too much. Unfortunately, the 81 is just bad whiskey, plain and simple.... WT has to know this.

Advanced Taster

This is just sad all around. Wild Turkey seems to keep slipping further and further. Thankfully I got lucky and found 3 bottles of the old 101 last week. However, I'm not sure if it is a blessing or curse. All it is going to do is make me miss the "old" Turkey even more.

Even if they bring the 101 back, it will probably take a taste hit as well. Just like the 101 bourbon has gotten worse over the years, I'm sure the "new" 101 rye won't be as good either.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter