Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

It's stated quite clearly in post #386 - 107 is the barrel entry proof. The range given is a generalized statement of best barrel entry proof. No point in confusing the two statements.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 11-21-2013 at 10:53.

Guru

Over the past 40 years or so Wild Turkey has been incrementally increasing the barrel entry proof of it's whisky, 103-105-107 and now 110. The purpose is not to make better whisky but to yield more beverage alcohol per barrel. More alcohol, more profit, nothing confusing about it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

According to Cowdery it's been 115 for about 7 years. Unless you think that the bean counters are letting them barrel it at 107 again.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Yeah, I got so caught up in the 110 I missed that. My memory works fine except when it doesn't.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Just realized that after starting my bourbon journey several months ago there are no WT or MM bottles on my bar or my bunker. Actually I don't miss them either.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I put a blog post up about it yesterday. That's here. I got a list of states from them. It came in the form of their regions and after I deciphered it, the total wasn't 21. Even counting D.C. and NYC as states it came to 18. Still, it's something.

In most, maybe all, states they can't refuse to sell it to stores, but by offering it in the 1L size only, stores will tend not to buy it. But in this particular case, the savvy ones will.

This, as we've been discussing for some time now, is the new normal. Types or brands that have a sudden sales surge are liable to be hard to find. Still, a two-year suspension is pretty dramatic. Most out-of-stocks are a month or less.

Guru

WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I put a blog post up about it yesterday. That's here. I got a list of states from them. It came in the form of their regions and after I deciphered it, the total wasn't 21. Even counting D.C. and NYC as states it came to 18. Still, it's something.

In most, maybe all, states they can't refuse to sell it to stores, but by offering it in the 1L size only, stores will tend not to buy it. But in this particular case, the savvy ones will.

This, as we've been discussing for some time now, is the new normal. Types or brands that have a sudden sales surge are liable to be hard to find. Still, a two-year suspension is pretty dramatic. Most out-of-stocks are a month or less.
    Thanks Chuck for that post. The comments thread (cool too see your real life interaction with EllenJ transposed onto cyberspace) on that link are a fascinating read for me as I have discovered a love of the old Pennsylvania ryes.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I have discovered a love of the old Pennsylvania ryes.
    Well, good thing those are easy to come by
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-28-2013 at 10:00.

Disciple

Ran across several bottles of the old WTR101 at a small store. I passed but know where they are hidden. This store doesn't looked to have a high volume of traffic.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Ran across several bottles of the old WTR101 at a small store. I passed but know where they are hidden. This store doesn't looked to have a high volume of traffic.
    I don't have as much will power. I buy 'em when I see 'em even though it is "coming back!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk