Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Whaaa?

Yes, while the sale of liquor must go through licensed spirits' wholesalers (if that's what you mean by 'approved'), as far as I know, they don't have limits as to how much they can bring in.
    This is what the RNDC and SWS reps tell me when asked why we don't get certain varieties of Bourbon. The VWFRR had to be sent back this year because it didn't get the proper approval. It was resubmitted and came in after Xmas. Now it may be a question of whether it is cost effective because it is my understanding that everything has to be resubmitted each year and approved with a fee. They have told me there are things they would like to bring in but have not been able to get approval for but this may be to shut me up...

PS. I would live for your products to be available in SC but have not seen it to date.
    Last edited by Enoch; 02-26-2012 at 04:36.

Enthusiast

Sounds like the reps are blowing smoke. They don't need to re-register every year...more than likely the issue is the demand for certain products are outstripping the allocation the state gets by the supplier.

Believe me, we're working on getting SC distribution soon. I practically grew up spending summers in SC (my family has a house on HHI & one up SW on Lake Greenwood), and plan to retire there someday. You'll see High West in SC within the next 6 mos.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Still cleaning house at the local State Stores. I've been getting some odd looks when I roll up to the counter with 2 arms full of WT rye.....

http://theethansmithblog.blogspot.co...urkey-rye.html
    My blog post showing my current stash.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonblog.com has a blog about this with a picture. The blog is more of a WT press release it reads pretty much like the WT 81 did.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The shortage, of course, will be caused in part by the introduction of 81, but the 81 will produce more bottles from the same amount of whiskey, and I'd be shocked if the price difference reflects the true value difference, so it's a smart way to make a little more money from a scarce resource. "Shortage" doesn't necessarily mean bare shelves. There has been a shortage of Maker's Mark for decades, in as much as they always have more ordered than they can supply, and have to allocate what they have, but do you ever have any trouble finding Maker's Mark?
    Funny you should ask. I live in NYC. I went into a big store last night that does a lot of volume, less focus on variety. They usually have 4 or five bourbons, MM included, either 1L or handles. Anyway, last night, all they had was JD and JB. They said they should have MM by thursday. I wasn't worried because I'm in NYC where we have almost everything available, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But even here I haven't seen the WT rye 101 lately. Hmmm... I'll be right back. I just have to go check something.....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Bourbonblog.com has a blog about this with a picture. The blog is more of a WT press release it reads pretty much like the WT 81 did.
    I haven't read one of his blog entries that didn't read like a press release.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

This thread was scary..until I finally felt reassured by Chuck Cowdery that my beloved WT Rye 101 was safe. I will give the new 81 proof a try too.

Connoisseur

I'm still scared. To me, making the 101 rye scarce is like trying to find a Pappy 20 to a Van Winkle addict. There is never enough around!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Bad news, kids: according to Eddie Russell (technically a Campari spokesperson, but with perhaps a bit more authority) the WT101 rye is going away to be replaced by 81 proof -- and he is in on the change. Jimmy was standing next to him as he told us at Julio's in MA last night.

He acknowledged that it would be unpopular but asked us to taste it before complaining.

My take on the rationale is similar to their explanation for the WT81: they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Connoisseur

Looks like I need to ratchet up the hoarding! I somehow knew this was coming.