Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.
    To hell with the younger generation-- to which I belong. These are the same kids who are making Red Gag successful.

Talk about diluting your brand....

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    To hell with the younger generation-- to which I belong. These are the same kids who are making Red Gag successful.

Talk about diluting your brand....
    I think the writing was on the wall as mr. cracker pointed out with them not redoing the packaging for the 101, but did for everything else. It was obvious, regardless of the rhetoric.

I've been saying it for a long time, Wild Turkey has lost most of my respect. They have put out some of the best American Whiskey ever in my opinion, with some of the WTKS Pewter top and dark brown tops being up there with the best Stitzel Weller and others, but this is the last straw. All respect gone. It will have to be earned back.

I cannot possibly believe that their stocks are so low they have to water things down and drop ages so extreme that all is left is over priced whiskey.

Makes me glad I am drinking far more Scotch than Bourbon/Rye these days, but WT Rye was still one of my favorite go to drinks with beer.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I think the writing was on the wall as mr. cracker pointed out with them not redoing the packaging for the 101, but did for everything else. It was obvious, regardless of the rhetoric.
    Yes, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.

The lesson here: actions speak louder than words.

(admittedly Eddie Russell's words on the subject sealed the question)

So, anyway, I've laid in a supply of six bottles (plus I have one already open, 'bout half full). These will last me for quite a while, because I use the WT only for the occasional cocktail (my sippin' ryes being Saz 18, VWFRR, and HW Rendezvous).

Now, as for the whiskey referenced in the thread title, I plan to buy a bottle. If it maintains the WT rye flavor profile, I'll always keep one around.

Two summers ago, I introduced four friends (two couples) to the Sazerac cocktail. One of these is someone who never stops at just one of anything she likes. Adding a dash of 120 proof absinthe to 101 proof whiskey makes for a pretty potent drink, and 2+ of these is a lot of alcohol. So I've been using baby Saz for these, and wishing for a decent (read non JB/OO) lower proof rye.

So I have a requirement for a lower proof rye, and am hoping the WT 81 fits.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-02-2012 at 12:11.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

The beauty of a high ABV spirits is the ability to proof it down however you please, IMO

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    The beauty of a high ABV spirits is the ability to proof it down however you please, IMO
    Doing that in front of your guest is bad form.

Plus, it wouldn't be Kentucky branch water!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Doing that in front of your guest is bad form.

Plus, it wouldn't be Kentucky branch water!
    In the case of the Sazerac, you could just be liberal in the amount of water needed to dissolve a sugar cube (but I use Ritt BIB and rich simple syrup in my Sazeracs, so I'm not much help.)

My takeaway from Eddie Russell's talk was that they're betting that more people will come to the brand at lower proof than they will lose even if everyone who complained left (but where would they go, given that the Ritt's availability is about the same as Pappy?) -- and if they use older juice to maintain the profile, they might even keep enough of the WT101 complainers. Then again, maybe that's why Beam introduced the Knob Creek Rye now...

(I also got the sense that the calculus didn't hold for WT101 bourbon -- they'd be in trouble if they dropped that!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Irreverent One

...I use...rich simple syrup in my Sazeracs...
    So do I. I always mix up some before a party. Useful for lots of different cocktails.

..so I'm not much help.
    That's okay. I still like you anyway.

My takeaway from Eddie Russell's talk was that they're betting that more people will come to the brand at lower proof than they will lose even if everyone who complained left (but where would they go, given that the Ritt's availability is about the same as Pappy?) -- and if they use older juice to maintain the profile, they might even keep enough of the WT101 complainers.
    Sounds reasonable.

Then again, maybe that's why Beam introduced the Knob Creek Rye now...
    There may be something to that. Checking the oh-so-useful TTB COLA database, I see the WT 81 label was approved on 8 July 2011, and the label for the KC rye submitted on 4 October 2011 (I'm sure the major distilleries monitor the thing to see what their competitors have in the pipeline).

(I also got the sense that the calculus didn't hold for WT101 bourbon -- they'd be in trouble if they dropped that!)
    Fer sure. 101 proof is integral to the whole WT bourbon mythos.
    Scott

- Serge Storms

Virtuoso

In the case of the Sazerac, you could just be liberal in the amount of water needed to dissolve a sugar cube (but I use Ritt BIB and rich simple syrup in my Sazeracs, so I'm not much help.)
    So do I. I always mix up some before a party. Useful for lots of different cocktails.
    not to threadjack, but how "rich" do you make your syrup? More than 1:1, I gather?

Irreverent One

not to threadjack, but how "rich" do you make your syrup? More than 1:1, I gather?
    1.5:1 sugar:water
    Scott

- Serge Storms

Disciple

not to threadjack,
    We're way past that!

but how "rich" do you make your syrup? More than 1:1, I gather?

1.5:1 sugar:water
    I actually do 2:1, and 1:1 for the "regular". I also have some packets of gum syrup that I bring back from Japan for use in really old-timey cocktails (though I'm not convinced I can really tell the difference...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"