Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: WT Rye 81 proof?!

Tonight I talked to my pal Sandy who is the owner of a local cocktail bar called The Oakland. I asked him if he was enraged that the 101 had been replaced with an 81, at least in Michigan. He said yes. The extra punch it has at 101 makes it great for cocktails, in his opinion.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Love Vintage 21, VWFRR, (and Saz 18). Like WT 101. Not so fond of my bottle of Ritt BIB. I have learned that the Ritt can be variable though (like most whiskey I suppose, but this was drastically different). I tried a slightly older (in terms of production date) bottle of Ritt at a friends place that was very, very good. What I'm asking myself now is do I like WT 101 rye enough to go buy a case....Probably not...
    I thought I liked the Ritt a lot because it tasted great when I sneaked swigs from the bottle while making Manhattans for the wife. On its own, though, in a glass, I was not a fan. Musty corn, not enough spice... That said, I also have noticed a lot of variability.

Connoisseur

Bought 3 more bottles last night. I'm up to 18 in the bunker now.....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Did you guys see the press release posted on bourbonblog? Here's an excerpt:

The smooth taste and warm smokiness of Wild Turkey 81 Rye is born from its natural aging process in American oak barrels with the deepest number 4 or “alligator” char. The final product is a kick in the pants mingling of whiskies aged 4 and 5 years — more than other major Rye whiskies in the same category.

Hah! They kept promising that the 81 is from older stock, for a deeper flavor. So now we know that the "aged" stock is exactly 1 year older, and even then this supremely old, dignified 5 year is just mixed in with the same young stock we get now. Go WT!

edit: Sorry, meant to say "Screw WT!"

Connoisseur

Aren't Rittenhouse BIB and baby Saz (Who WT is trying to compete with) both at least 6 years old???? Only Pikesville and the Beam ryes are 3 and 4 years old. Idiots. Why has everything American whiskey become all about marketing and "the younger crowd"?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Aren't Rittenhouse BIB and baby Saz (Who WT is trying to compete with) both at least 6 years old???? Only Pikesville and the Beam ryes are 3 and 4 years old. Idiots. Why has everything American whiskey become all about marketing and "the younger crowd"?
    Rit BiB is 4 yo.

There have been differing claims about Baby Saz but nothing definite from BT. I don't drink a lot of the Saz but my impression is that it has been trending younger.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Interesting. I have always been under the impression that Rittenhouse was 5-6yo rye. Hence the DSP-354 stuff still being around eventhough Bernheim started distilling the Rittenhouse several years ago. It also tastes like a 5-6yo rye. Again, all my assumptions though. Kudos for Heaven Hill making a 4 year rye taste so AWESOME. As for the Sazerac, I had seen somewhere where they listed it as 6 years old. This did confuse me as it did seem a bit younger and grainier than 6 years old. Not that it was bad, but it had less barrel flavors than I would expect from something of that age. I will buy a bottle of the 81 proof junk just for comparisons sake, but after doing a bit of comparisons from the 80, 81 and 101 bourbons versus the 101 rye, I've got a good idea of what this weasel pee is going to taste like. It will be too wet and uncomfortably bitter, not like the dry heat and strong cocoa flavors of the 101.

Guru

I've got a good idea of what this weasel pee is going to taste like.
    How do you know what weasel pee tastes like?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Every young, hipster mixologist I know cherishes HIGHER proof whiskeys because they work better in cocktails. This spin coming from Turkey about younger drinkers and "mixing" makes no sense. It's purely an economic move to stretch the supply and charge the same amount, IMHO.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Every young, hipster mixologist I know cherishes HIGHER proof whiskeys because they work better in cocktails. This spin coming from Turkey about younger drinkers and "mixing" makes no sense. It's purely an economic move to stretch the supply and charge the same amount, IMHO.
    Sandy would agree! They have used WTR 101 in several of their weekend punches and in several of their regular cocktails.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog