Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon QPR 2012

For me it's OWA, OGD BIB, and Rittenhouse BIB.

Bill

Enthusiast

I agree those are all good bottlings. I just feel that since Very Old barton, at around 12 bucks, is 25-50% less than a lot of the other bottlings. So the actual "quality to price" ratio definitely edges out the competition (I'm not saying its better than the others, just that it has a better ratio).

But, then I'm sure a lot of you get those other bottlings cheaper than they are around here.

Disciple

OWA
    OGD 114
    RITT Bib
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    I agree those are all good bottlings. I just feel that since Very Old barton, at around 12 bucks, is 25-50% less than a lot of the other bottlings. So the actual "quality to price" ratio definitely edges out the competition (I'm not saying its better than the others, just that it has a better ratio).

But, then I'm sure a lot of you get those other bottlings cheaper than they are around here.
    Of course you also have people like me (or anybody in NJ), that have never had a chance to try VOB, hence we cannot add it to the equation. Of course the only Bourbons in the $12 range is Heaven Hill and EWB, so even if we get it, the price would probably be higher. But, I'd like to find out... oh well, maybe some day.

Virtuoso

For me its Ritt BIB, Four Roses Small Batch

Virtuoso

Another one that deserves mention: Costco has a Kirkland Signature bourbon at about $20 for a liter (Chicago-area pricing). 103 proof, aged 7 years, obviously a Beam product as it mentions Clermont on the label.

It reminds me of a stronger Beam Black - and for me that's a good thing.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

I agree with the entire Weller line. AAA, $24.99 for a handle in NKY, hard to beat. I only wish it were higher proof. I built a good stash of ORVW 10/107 last year at $25.99, crazy value in my opinion. If I could find enough at that price it would become 90% of my bourbon consumption, if only.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    I agree with the entire Weller line. AAA, $24.99 for a handle in NKY, hard to beat. I only wish it were higher proof. I built a good stash of ORVW 10/107 last year at $25.99, crazy value in my opinion. If I could find enough at that price it would become 90% of my bourbon consumption, if only.
    My wife did a blind tasting session for me last night, and the ORVW 10/107 won over the OWA, WLW2010, and a crappy whiskey not worth naming because I don't want anyone to know I bought it I actually thought it was PVW15, it was so good. I was completely floored because I'd always thought of it as an overpriced, underwhelming bridge between the OWA and the high powered wheaters. If I could find it again between $26-40, I'd get it again and leave the Pappy on the shelf.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
    Another one that deserves mention: Costco has a Kirkland Signature bourbon at about $20 for a liter (Chicago-area pricing). 103 proof, aged 7 years, obviously a Beam product as it mentions Clermont on the label.

It reminds me of a stronger Beam Black - and for me that's a good thing.
    I've been vatting a 1:1 of that and Devil's Cut lately, and damned if it isn't mighty fine! Each bottle is getting low so I'm trying to clear them from the shelf, but I'm enjoying the combo so much that I might have to pick up replacements!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay