Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Howdy from Lexington KY!

Hello everyone, I'm glad to be here!

For Christmas this year I bought my Dad a bottle of Bourbon (along with some other things of course). I walked in the whisky aisle here at one of our local Liquor Barns (enormous warehouses with a nearly unmatched selection) for about 20 minutes looking at everything. I think they have over 100 different bourbons and whiskeys, it's crazy. Eventually a nice fella noticed my trepidation and asked what I was looking for (not an employee although they are very helpful but a Bourbon Enthusiast). After a 10 minute and surprising education on bourbon he pointed me to Eagle Rare 10. At the price point it seemed right so I bought it.

A few days later I was at my Dad's with a few friends and we opened the bottle. I drank it neat, not expecting to like it. The burn rocked my world as I wasn't used to it and took a way larger drink than I should have. Sitting there waiting for the burn to stop, an amazing thing happened on the finish. Vanilla showed up. An incredibly overt vanilla like I just bit into a vanilla bean. I think I remember saying "whoah" kind of like Neo in The Matrix (yeah I'm a Sci-Fi nerd too), followed by "Hey I'm getting Vanilla here". I was hooked.

With my personality style, when I become interested in things I kind of obsess over them until I get a grasp on the subject. Fortunately my Wife understands it so not without a little goading she pretty much leaves me to my educatin'. 2 months later I have around 20 bourbons in my personal stock and have really enjoyed the journey of narrowing my flavor profile, to which, I'm sure, will change over time.

Again, glad to be here and am looking forward it..

Ether..

Connoisseur

Re: Howdy from Lexington KY!

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are off to a good start. I am very similar to you in that I tend to "throw myself" into something when I get started with it, trying to learn as much as possible. This can be a lot more fun with bourbon than it can be with other things.

But I wouldn't worry about, "narrowing" your profile just yet. You are still getting acquainted and your palate will not only change, but mood, food, and other influences may alter things as well. So don't rush it.

The Journey is the fun part, not the destiation, enjoy your discovery journey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

You're Welcome!!
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Quote Originally Posted by TheEther View Post
    2 months later I have around 20 bourbons in my personal stock and have really enjoyed the journey of narrowing my flavor profile, to which, I'm sure, will change over time.

That's how it all starts. Many of us have been there. I started with WR, MM and KC. ERSB was the first bourbon I bought when I started to expand my horizons a little. I still like it.

Welcome Ether, and enjoy the ride. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

and 10 years later you will probably have about 200 or more bottles. Not sure how I have stayed married.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrocklover View Post
    and 10 years later you will probably have about 200 or more bottles. Not sure how I have stayed married.
    Shhhhhhhhhhh. You were supposed to let him found out about those things for himself.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

My wife thinks (was told) they were all gifts. I must be the nicest SOB in the whole world! Of course I don't think she has been in my closet fora while...

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan.

I am new into this as well and now have about 40+ bottles. Funny.

Best regards, tony