Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

How do you like your martinis?

my last thread on the topic in 2007 fizzled out. maybe now we have some more martini drinkers.
    I've stuck with the Bombay Sapphire dirty with Martini & Rossi dry vermouth. Still working on my 3 large bottles of Dirty Sue Olive Juice; have some others, too. Since Sam's closed in Highland Park, I have to stuff my own blue cheese olives; I ask for something soft at Whole Foods. However, today, we were in the city, so I got the olives at Binny's on Marcy St. that used to be the main Sam's store. The bottled store bought olives just don't cut it.
    Only made a mini, since I had to go out after dinner.
    2nd favorite gin: Hendricks
    also rans: Tanq 10, Brokers, Northshore
    never: vodka

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Disciple

Re: How do you like your martinis?

I don't drink martinis often but when I do I prefer them with a twist (since I'm not an olive fan). I have a few gins on hand - Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's - and use one of these most of the time. I never make vodka martinis, but I will do the "James Bond" martini, which combines gin, vodka and lillet. I think this is very refreshing in the summer.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

I still haven't tried a gin martini. I've always made mine with vodka and a hint of dry vermouth. Oh, and a bunch of olives! Gotta have the olives.

Advanced Taster

I rarely drink martinis, but the one that I tend to prefer is the "smokey" martini, which requires a touch of scotch. I also prefer the lemon twist, as olives are not really my thing, either.

Guru

Cool Re: How do you like your martinis?

I prefer a regular dry martini, simply made with Beefeater gin, dry vermouth, and three olives. Like others have already said, I don't have them very often.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I don't drink martinis often but when I do I prefer them with a twist (since I'm not an olive fan). I have a few gins on hand - Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's - and use one of these most of the time. I never make vodka martinis, but I will do the "James Bond" martini, which combines gin, vodka and lillet. I think this is very refreshing in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I prefer a regular dry martini, simply made with Beefeater gin, dry vermouth, and three olives. Like others have already said, I don't have them very often.

Tim

I said Gordon's Gin, but I meant Beefeater Gin. I don't know where that came from...I've never bought a bottle of Gordon's in my life!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

http://cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=4596

Rye Martini (not much of a gin, vermouth or vodka drinker).

I would change the ratios to 2/3 rye, a mere dash of vermouth or vodka, 1/3 forbidden fruit and dashes of absinthe optional plus the olives.

Enthusiast

I am a very big martini drinker. I like a high vermouth ratio, Dolin if possible, about 3:1 gin to vermouth. by far the smoothest gin I have found is Plymouth; it makes a beautiful, clean, martini. other favorites are #209 from San Francisco, a very floral and smooth gin; and Bombay- not the Sapphire. Broker's is also a frequent visitor. In case you haven't figured it out, I am not a fan of the higher juniper spicy gins; although if you are, Bombay Sapphire, Bluecoat, and Junipero are some of the best in that category. sometimes I will also do the James Bond version if a spicy gin is all that's available. a couple dashes of orange bitters and a twist of lemon and it's done: perfection in a glass.

Connoisseur

I only can think of drinking martinis in the summer. My usual is (blasphemously) Ketel One vodka, 3 olives, and a hint of a rumor of a whisper of dry vermouth, served painfully cold.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

I pretty much gave up martinis when I discovered the joys of Leopold's Gin on the rocks with a few olives; you don't have to worry about your vermouth going bad and no turning red in the face from operating the shaker.

I pretty much gave up gin when I started getting belligerent on it. Whiskey mostly mellows me and sometimes it can make my eyes shoot sparks, but gin goes straight to my head.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--