Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: How do you like your martinis?

nice to see some summer responses! keep'em coming.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

Bar DeVille in Chicago is known for being a better than decent mixology bar without being too pretentious. But I was in there with a super hot girl who loves dirty martinis. Owner/bartender nearly spat in my face for asking for one. "We don't carry olives," he says. They have a couple PHC vintages, etc., but no olives. Talk about cocktail originalism / snobbery, what have you.

Love this thread for seeing the vast differences between people's various conceptions of martinis. Difference of opinion is great. But I wouldn't deny my customers what they ask for if I owned a bar.

Needless to say, I haven't been back!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    Bar DeVille in Chicago is known for being a better than decent mixology bar without being too pretentious. But I was in there with a super hot girl who loves dirty martinis. Owner/bartender nearly spat in my face for asking for one. "We don't carry olives," he says.
    This bartender's oafishness cheesed me off enough to dig out my copy of Crosby Gaige's Standard Cocktail Guide (1944). Gaige was, I believe, a Broadway producer, dedicated booze-hound, and pig-out artist. I thought I'd cite Gaige's use of olives in a Martini as evidence that the Bar De Ville is stocked with pretentious clowns. But I see that Gaige suggests serving a dry Martini (2 oz gin, 3/4 oz dry vermouth, stirred over cracked ice) with a lemon twist, and a sweet Martini (2 oz gin, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth, stirred) with a cherry. Hmmm....

You know what? I don't care what Crosby Gaige has to say. That bartender was a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    Owner/bartender nearly spat in my face for asking for one. "We don't carry olives," he says. They have a couple PHC vintages, etc., but no olives. Talk about cocktail originalism / snobbery, what have you.
    I refer to these nouveau "mixologist" speakeasy wannabe types as bardouches. Just like the new crowd of beer snobs, the "speakeasy" crowd that think they know everything there is to know and that everybody else is a bunch of idiots rankle me to no end.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BoozeTraveler View Post
    I refer to these nouveau "mixologist" speakeasy wannabe types as bardouches. Just like the new crowd of beer snobs, the "speakeasy" crowd that think they know everything there is to know and that everybody else is a bunch of idiots rankle me to no end.
    I have seen my share of "bardouches", as I am doing informal research to open my own mixology bar. I also generally agree that a bartender is there to prepare drinks at your pleasure.

However, just like I wouldn't order a mac'n'cheese off menu at an upscale gastropub, or a Boulevardier at a dive bar, you have to have some respect for the owner's concept for the venue. He made a decision to not carry olives. Maybe he thought that's not how a martini should be served. That filling a glass with brine overpowers the beverage (even though sometimes that's just what you want). Maybe he's just a snob. Whatever the case, he does sound like a jerk, and he could have been much more polite and helpful.

I was recently a very good speakeasy bar in Nashville, when two guys sat down at the bar next to me and ordered Bacardi and cokes before they had a chance to even look at the menu of 50+ incredible cocktails (which included detailed recipes and descriptions of each one). Instead of spitting, this employee politely explained that they didn't carry Bacardi, but only a special single barrel rum. The guy argued that he had ordered a Bacardi and coke last time he'd been there (which I would bet my life was "never"). Still the bartender patiently deferred to the cocktail list to recommend another drink. When the guy asked for a Red Bull and vodka, I thought he'd blow his top, but he managed to carefully steer him towards a mojito or a dark n' stormy, I think. In this case, the bardouche was the customer.

To stay on topic, I've recently cracked open a new bottle of Martin Miller's Westbourne strength gin. Last weekend, I made a couple martinis for myself and my friend with this in our favorite style. Stirred slowly over large chunks of cracked ice, a hint of Noilly Prat, poured into two well chilled cocktail glasses. Garnish with a long strip of lemon. It really celebrates the flavors in the gin.

Guru

First of all, I like them on the rocks. Coat the rocks generously with dry vermouth. Add Bombay Sapphire Gin, a splash of olive juice. Put three large olives on a stick to stir. Ya Mon...
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    ... a sweet Martini (2 oz gin, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth, stirred) with a cherry. Hmmm....
    Oddly, I had never heard of a sweet martini in my 45 years or so of drinking, but I tried this the other day and it was delicious. No cherry, though. I just used Tanqueray gin and M&R Red.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Like my women - dirty and full of gin!

Joking aside, I don't prefer a dirty martini. I do like olives...garlic stuffed. I also like to wipe the rim with a piece of lemon peal and squeeze it over the drink, cascading tiny droplets of lemon oil across the top. But I discard the lemon. I don't put it in the martini.

Orange bitters are a must.

Beefeater is my go to. Boodles is also quite nice.

FWIW I consulted my copy of "The Official Mixer's Manual" by Patrick Gavin Duffy, copyright 1934. The martini recipe therein calls for 2/3 dry gin, 1/3 French vermouth, 1 dash orange bitters, stir with ice, strain and garnish with an olive.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Oddly, I had never heard of a sweet martini in my 45 years or so of drinking, but I tried this the other day and it was delicious. No cherry, though. I just used Tanqueray gin and M&R Red.

Tim
    Tim, glad to hear that you liked it. I'll have to give it a try. Crosby Gaige's book has some very interesting recipes, and if you're interested in others, let me know. In keeping with the theme of this thread, here's another one of his mutated Martinis called "The Bronx Cocktail" -- 1 oz dry gin, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth, 3/4 oz dry vermouth, 1/2 oz orange juice. Shake with cracked ice.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
    FWIW I consulted my copy of "The Official Mixer's Manual" by Patrick Gavin Duffy, copyright 1934. The martini recipe therein calls for 2/3 dry gin, 1/3 French vermouth, 1 dash orange bitters, stir with ice, strain and garnish with an olive.
    I love trying new martini recipes! I need to upgrade my vermouth selection from Martini to Noilly Prat. And I'll have to find some orange bitters. But I definitely want to give this recipe a try.