Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodo Whiskeys

Connoisseur

Dodo Whiskeys

So it seems some of my favorite whiskeys are going the way of the dodo and this makes me sad.

We all know about Hirsch, but I really was never able to enjoy much of it. Now the Pappy 15 is no longer made with any trace of the legendary Stitzel-Weller distillate, the 20 seems it is not far behind (year after next if the math pencils out correctly) and the 23 only has few short years left. Adding to the pain are the high-end ryes. When the stainless tanks holding the Saz 18 and VWFRR are emptied, they too are extinct and I hear there will be a bit of a gap before the replacement ultra-aged ryes are available.

I am sure there is more good whiskey aging as I speak, but no guarantee that it will be legendary. There is the possibility it might be better, but it still won't be the same. Then there are my worries that while the increased popularity of bourbon will be good for the industry as a whole, it may lead to undermining of premium quality releases as supply tries to keep up with increasing demand and the $$ that go with it.

I know whiskeys have lived and died throughout the years, but this is the first time I really effected by this. Anyone else feel the same?

Virtuoso

Re: Dodo Whiskeys

In 10 years, people will be saying the same about the bottles we're enjoying today. That's not to say that some of the older bottles weren't excellent, but we have some excellent bottles now that will undoubtedly change or disappear and we'll talk about them at length with future bourbon geeks. Just a thought ...
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

judging by all these flavoring trends that sell massive volumes, "I remember the days when you could get whiskey that didn't have caramel, honey, cherry, peach, cotton candy, chocolate, or anything else added to it."

Virtuoso

Most of my favorite whiskeys are already extinct. It's a sad day when you walk into the liquor store and can't find anything you want to drink in the bourbon aisle

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    judging by all these flavoring trends that sell massive volumes, "I remember the days when you could get whiskey that didn't have caramel, honey, cherry, peach, cotton candy, chocolate, or anything else added to it."
    Actually, I am cheering those low proof, short aging, high margin drinks on.

Because honestly, they are not going to waste the good stuff on that, they can turn over that Bourbon faster (4 years and one day later) and have the margins that they can afford to sock away the good stuff for aging.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    In 10 years, people will be saying the same about the bottles we're enjoying today. That's not to say that some of the older bottles weren't excellent, but we have some excellent bottles now that will undoubtedly change or disappear and we'll talk about them at length with future bourbon geeks. Just a thought ...

I agree. I mean, who thought that people would be pining for 86 proof Jack Daniels?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Well said!

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Well said!

+1. And, I'll add that I've tasted more sucky bourbons from the "good old days", than I have from current production. There was a fair amount of crap made. That's why a lot of it is still on the shelf now.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    +1. And, I'll add that I've tasted more sucky bourbons from the "good old days", than I have from current production. There was a fair amount of crap made. That's why a lot of it is still on the shelf now.
    I disagree slightly -- I've had several bottom-shelf, cats 'n' dogs labels from the glut era that were spectacular; likewise the long-lost mainstream brands like Yellowstone. (I've also had some unacceptably harsh S-W Cabin Stills and Rebel Yells!)

Having said that, I've found no shortage of favorites from today's whiskeys: Weller SR and Antique, Makers 46, Four Roses Yellow and Jim Beam Black are always consumed and replaced on a regular basis.

And I've got some 90 proof Jack in my cabinet!
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I disagree slightly -- I've had several bottom-shelf, cats 'n' dogs labels from the glut era that were spectacular; likewise the long-lost mainstream brands like Yellowstone. (I've also had some unacceptably harsh S-W Cabin Stills and Rebel Yells!)

Having said that, I've found no shortage of favorites from today's whiskeys: Weller SR and Antique, Makers 46, Four Roses Yellow and Jim Beam Black are always consumed and replaced on a regular basis.

And I've got some 90 proof Jack in my cabinet!
    I think we agree pretty closely, Kevin. I agree on the bottom shelf glut era gems available. Some really nice whiskies are around. But, like you with the CS and RY, I've experienced some others that were just plain bad. Not just to my liking, or funked, or tainted, but Bad. I can't think of any mainstream bourbon today that I would say is bad. Maybe, not my particular cup of tea, but not bad like some of those old ones.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama