Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

Some of the higher proof bourbons use the terminology of being Barrel Strength or Cask Strength. I am assuming that those terms are used synonymously. Does anyone discern any differences between the two?

I seem to enjoy higher proof bourbons the most. Can anyone suggest any others to try in addition to the following:

GTS
    WLW
    PHC
    Booker's

Disciple

Re: Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

They are one in the same...

PHC is on their 5th release and so far only 2 of the 5 have been cask/barrel strength releases so PHC wouldn't always fall into that category.

Four Roses has a barrel proof product and IMO stands toe to toe with the BTAC stuff. The one caveot to that is that the FR bottles are single barrels where the BTAC stuff is batched so you have to trust that whoever is picking the barrels has a good pallet or at least one that aligns with your preferences.

BTAC also has Handy in the collection which is a 6-7yr old cask strength rye whiskey.

There are also various Willett bottles out there that range from 2yr rye's to 23yr bourbons. I've been lucky enough to score some bottles of Willett that I would take over GTS, WLW, or PHC everyday of the week. I wouldn't discount the bourbon that they have just because the aren't HH, BT, or FR.

I hope this helps.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

I'd have to offer Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Bourbon as another fine barrel strength consideration for the cabinet.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    I'd have to offer Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Bourbon as another fine barrel strength consideration for the cabinet.
    Did you pick up a single barrel or the small batch? Maryland was selling a barrel proof Bowman, but I never looked to see whether it was single barrel.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Did you pick up a single barrel or the small batch? Maryland was selling a barrel proof Bowman, but I never looked to see whether it was single barrel.
    The Maryland version is a small batch bottling.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is Barrel Strength as well (if I am not mistaken) and well regarded.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed is Barrel Strength as well (if I am not mistaken) and well regarded.
    The website states that, but technically it's not Barrel Strength, unless they're magically finding lots of barrels at the same proof. Same for OGD 114. Love the high proof, but there are always variations in barrels.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    The website states that, but technically it's not Barrel Strength, unless they're magically finding lots of barrels at the same proof. Same for OGD 114. Love the high proof, but there are always variations in barrels.
    I find it hard to believe too but they could always mix a bunch together to achieve a certain proof. It's NAS too, so gives them more flexability.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

If you watch Julian Van Winkle's interview on the Buffalo Trace Oral History website he gives a little info about SW Weller 7/107. They barreled at a low proof, around 107, and diluted just enough to get it back to 107 when bottling it. SW called it barrel strength.

Not sure what proof WT barrels at, probably around 120, but I also find it hard to believe it comes back at 108 proof. Doesn't diminish my like for Rare Breed though!

I don't know the exact proof that WT barrels at but it's less than 108 so Rare Breed is coming off the upper floors of the rickhouse. WT prides themselves on their low barreling proof.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 02-07-2012 at 07:07.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.