Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

Don't forget Noah's Mill. 114 Proof.
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    The website states that, but technically it's not Barrel Strength, unless they're magically finding lots of barrels at the same proof. Same for OGD 114. Love the high proof, but there are always variations in barrels.
    It's not single barrel, so what's the issue. Why would all of the barrels have to be the same proof? It's barrel strength if no water is added. Of course the dumped barrels don't all come in at the same proof. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    If you watch Julian Van Winkle's interview on the Buffalo Trace Oral History website he gives a little info about SW Weller 7/107. They barreled at a low proof, around 107, and diluted just enough to get it back to 107 when bottling it. SW called it barrel strength.

Not sure what proof WT barrels at, probably around 120, but I also find it hard to believe it comes back at 108 proof. Doesn't diminish my like for Rare Breed though!
    Wild Turkey barrels at 115, up from 110 a few years ago.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's not single barrel, so what's the issue. Why would all of the barrels have to be the same proof? It's barrel strength if no water is added. Of course the dumped barrels don't all come in at the same proof. So what?
    I presume his argument is that WTRB is labeled at 108.2 Proof and does not vary. Since what proof a barrel comes out at varies, that not every batch would come out at exactly the same proof. So, his belief would be that they MUST dilute to reach the exact level every time.

Enthusiast
    I recall seeing an advertisement about a year ago that listed the proof of Rare Breed as 108.x. Opened up my liquor cabinet and my bottle was 108.y. Can't recall the exact numbers, but they were without a doubt different. I've never had two bottles at the same time to compare. Guess that's the downfall of having a delicious and easily accessible bourbon around - I don't need to hoard it like canned goods before a nuclear attack...

Connoisseur

Thanks Chuck!

Now I can see how they do it, along with bringing together a bunch of barrels.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    I presume his argument is that WTRB is labeled at 108.2 Proof and does not vary. Since what proof a barrel comes out at varies, that not every batch would come out at exactly the same proof. So, his belief would be that they MUST dilute to reach the exact level every time.
    That's exactly my point. Thank you.
    Last edited by White Dog; 02-07-2012 at 18:30.

Enthusiast

Dear Whiskey Industry,
    STOP messin' with OUR whiskey!, please.
    Thank you.
    Lazer.

And, of course, they couldn't possibly just add higher- or lower-proof barrels to the dump tank until the batch achieves the desired proof. They have to be doing something dishonest.

Never try to reason with a conspiracy theorist. I have to remember that rule.

Booker's has always been labeled with a proof range. nblair's experience suggests that Turkey is simply labeling each batch with that batch's slightly different proof, both of which are good solutions. But more likely they're trying to screw us, especially if we live in Wisconsin.

Enthusiast

From the website:

Rare Breed is a "barrel-proof bourbon," meaning it is bottled directly from a variety of barrels at the proof it reaches in those barrels, with no added water to lower the proof or dilute the flavor. This bourbon is a unique marriage of Wild Turkey 6, 8, and 12 year old stocks, which give the whiskey a rich, exceptional flavor that is remarkably smooth, considering its high alcohol content.
    -SOB-