Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    From the website:

Rare Breed is a "barrel-proof bourbon," meaning it is bottled directly from a variety of barrels at the proof it reaches in those barrels, with no added water to lower the proof or dilute the flavor. This bourbon is a unique marriage of Wild Turkey 6, 8, and 12 year old stocks, which give the whiskey a rich, exceptional flavor that is remarkably smooth, considering its high alcohol content.
    Maybe that's why there is so much inconsistency between batches (at least from what I've experienced). The relative amounts of each stock can change quite a bit every time a new batch is made.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    And, of course, they couldn't possibly just add higher- or lower-proof barrels to the dump tank until the batch achieves the desired proof. They have to be doing something dishonest.

Never try to reason with a conspiracy theorist. I have to remember that rule.

Booker's has always been labeled with a proof range. nblair's experience suggests that Turkey is simply labeling each batch with that batch's slightly different proof, both of which are good solutions. But more likely they're trying to screw us, especially if we live in Wisconsin.
    Never said they were trying to "screw us." And sure, maybe they blend various proof barrels to always achieve 108.2. I would have thought they were blending for a flavor profile, rather than a proof, but hey, what do I know?

And hey Cowdery, if my posts are so full of shit, why not use the "ignore" option that you recommend to others?

Virtuoso
    With an attitude like that it would be a miracle if he didn't

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    And hey Cowdery, if my posts are so full of shit, why not use the "ignore" option that you recommend to others?
    I don't mean to get in the middle of this long-standing feud and sound like Dr. Phil or anything, but White Dog, if you are so cynical about the industry and all this other stuff you need to just go somewhere else and do something that you enjoy. Quite often you let loose with some post that is the equivalent of pissing on a kid's birthday cake. We're all here to have fun and discuss bourbon/rye and you just have this incredibly off-putting negative energy to some of your posts.

It makes you sound like Cowdery talking about KBD.
    -SOB-

Virtuoso

Aside from the fact that companies like wild turkey have noting to fear from regulators secretly testing and handing out major fines for slight differences in ABV percentages from bottle to bottle:

"For bottled spirits over 100 ml containing no solids, actual alcohol content is allowed to vary within 0.15% of abv stated on the label."

that is from wikipedia, so you know its true...
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    pissing on a kid's birthday cake.:
    The image of someone doing that while surrounded by crying/incredulous children made me laugh hysterically. Thank you
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I never imagined that beinging up Wild Turkey Rare Breed as a cask strength bkurbon would send this thread spiraling down uncontrollably until we reached pissing on birthday cakes.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Maybe that's why there is so much inconsistency between batches (at least from what I've experienced). The relative amounts of each stock can change quite a bit every time a new batch is made.
    Haven't they been using the same batch number for the last several years (WT03B or whatever)? Surely you're not implying that they've actually released more than one batch with the same labels

/actually, it is kind of weird how started out using new batch numbers and then seemingly quit. Unless of course they bottled a huge batch and have been releasing it piecemeal ever since.

Connoisseur

Or did they make a huge vatting and have been trickling bottles out of the tank, ala Saz 18.

Connoisseur

There is no way they just did one large vatting. The bottles I've had have been so vastly different that they couldn't possibly have come from the same mega-tank.