Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Never said they were trying to "screw us." And sure, maybe they blend various proof barrels to always achieve 108.2. I would have thought they were blending for a flavor profile, rather than a proof, but hey, what do I know?

And hey Cowdery, if my posts are so full of shit, why not use the "ignore" option that you recommend to others?
    I usually reserve 'ignore' for people who never post anything worth reading. You're not there...yet.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    There is no way they just did one large vatting. The bottles I've had have been so vastly different that they couldn't possibly have come from the same mega-tank.
    It's possible the batch numbers are fake, people have been known to do that, but that would surprise me a little.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's possible the batch numbers are fake, people have been known to do that, but that would surprise me a little.

Okay, maybe they could be if they kept it in the same tank over the years, so the batch would be exposed to more and more air each year as bottles were filled and the liquid level went down. I'm not taking a stance on the accuracy of their label, but my own taste tells me that the various pours I had have experienced pretty different conditions.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    I never imagined that beinging up Wild Turkey Rare Breed as a cask strength bkurbon would send this thread spiraling down uncontrollably until we reached pissing on birthday cakes.
    There's no telling what will set this place aflame.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

A quick search brought up this thread; http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=12017

It appears that they used discrete batch numbers for several years but it's been the same batch number since '03. So either they a)quit using real batch nos., or b) made one huge batch.

Unless anyone has seen a more recent batch number?

/my OGD 114 says Lot #1, too, for what it's worth

Enthusiast

pissing on birthday cakes.
    I thought I would try to bring some humor to this thread. This is the best I could do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    There's no telling what will set this place aflame.
    True...and though I am a fan of WTRB, never would I have thought it would be the fuse to the dynamite. Usually that is reserved for the allocated and abandoned labels...interesting reading just the same.

Connoisseur

Well, at the risk of starting another flame out, but in trying to get this thread back on track to the original question, another higher proof (which they call "near" Barrel Strength) is the Knob Creek Single Barrel.

I know this is one that is not very highly regarded... but it is one of very few High Proof bourbons I would even consider drinking neat.

Virtuoso

Blanton's sells 'Straight From The Barrel Bourbon' overseas/duty free shops only. I had a nice pour of it last night. (Dumped 8/26/09, 131.9 proof) Great stuff in my opinion, and I cut it very only just a little.

I saw an interview recently ... (can't seem to find it now to link ... whiskey blog out of Louisville I think) .. but they said they started producing the barrel/cask strength in 2004? because they were asked by the French. Also mentioned something about the burden of some countries' tax systems being reduced somehow by producing different proofs for export...but maybe that was the 80 proof green label. They also held out some promise of one day selling it domestically.

Found the link:

http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2011...ction-tasting/

... have to watch it again to compare what is said to what I wrote from a two-day memory, ... figure my geezer quotient that way.

Discussion of the Straight From The Barrel juice starts at about minute 7:30
    Last edited by edo; 02-10-2012 at 21:44.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Virtuoso

Well, at the risk of starting another flame out, but in trying to get this thread back on track to the original question, another higher proof (which they call "near" Barrel Strength) is the Knob Creek Single Barrel.

I know this is one that is not very highly regarded... but it is one of very few High Proof bourbons I would even consider drinking neat.
    I'm a fan of this offering. I happen to like the regular KC quite a bit. I like the KCSBR even better.