Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Barrel/Cask Strength Bourbons

Bring a few non-BP dusties into the fold, and....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Wow...look at this post from the resident expert on finish...have you had the OWA that Dave is referring to? Well, I can answer that question...NO. So your comments here regarding OWA are ill-advised to say the least.

Finish like the rest of the bourbon experience is subjective...without a doubt based on your post here you and I have a different point of reference on what's important.

Your hypothesis that anything that isn't BP will have a something wrong with it is another one I completely disagree with...see Pappy 15, Weller Centennial, WT Tribute, VSOF, etc...I could go on and on and on!
    Yeah, I rambled a bit (sorry about that), but expert???

Never claimed to be, nor have a desire to be, and tried to emphasize as much quite vehemently to ensure it wasn't taken as such. I don't stand on a soapbox and preach. I just give my (subjective) opinion... long winded as it may be. Sorry if it came off as anything but a long and perhaps over-caffeinated response.

Nope, haven't have the OWA he spoke of, and obviously I can't form an opinion based on what others have had, only my own. So, ill-advised? I'm not so sure... just a difference of opinion based on different experiences.

The BP hypothesis, is NOT mine. I agree with you there. And somewhere in the middle of my ramblings was that point, that there are plenty of non-BP products that have a great finish.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Well, actually... 1/2 of all bourbons have an "above average" finish.
    Actually, I think you are confusing "average" and "mean".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Actually, I think you are confusing "average" and "mean".
    "In mathematics, an average, or measure of central tendency, of a data set is a measure of the "middle" value of the data set."

So, no I am not. (Though I do understand what you are trying to say, the "central dency," the "middle of the road" still leaves 1/2 above and 1/2 below.

Advanced Taster

Ok, I got the "where everyone's child is above average" joke...

Personally, I find no correlation between ABV and finish. For me, Devil's Cut is an example of a surprisingly good finish that happens to come at a lower ABV.
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 02-13-2012 at 16:36.
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by awachatz View Post
    In hindsight, I should have purchased a bottle of the barrel proof Abraham Bowman when I had the chance. That is the last time I hesitate. The main reason I enjoy the barrel proof bourbons is that they typically have a more intense flavor. I could really care less what proof a bourbon is, but haven't found many non-barrel proof bourbons that can deliver enough flavor other than wood. Most times the finish is short or non-existent.

Has anyone had any luck with non-barrel proof bourbons that pack a punch in the flavor department and have an above average finish?
    Not to add insult to injury, but I'm sipping the Abraham Bowman Small Batch Barrel Proof right now and it's absolutely sublime. It's surprisingly drinkable neat and has a loooong finish. Now, I haven't tried too many bourbons aged as long as 18 years, but, as far as my tastes are concerned, it blows the BTEC 1991 and 1989 that I tried the other night out of the water.

Apprentice

Tossing it into the mix... W.H. Harrison Governors Reserve is barrel proof and very much straight from the barrel. I bought a bottle a few days ago and haven't tried it yet, but there sure is a lot of stuff floating around in there. I believe the barrel proof claim!
    @TheBourbonPro on Twitter

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moretorque05 View Post
    Tossing it into the mix... W.H. Harrison Governors Reserve is barrel proof and very much straight from the barrel. I bought a bottle a few days ago and haven't tried it yet, but there sure is a lot of stuff floating around in there. I believe the barrel proof claim!
    It's very good if you enjoy high rye bourbons.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Speaking of "cask strength" there is a store here in town that has a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition for 89 dollars.

I read up on it and it's supposed to be cask strength.

The question i have is it worth the aggressive price?

I have 4R single barrel and love it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Speaking of "cask strength" there is a store here in town that has a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition for 89 dollars.

I read up on it and it's supposed to be cask strength.

The question i have is it worth the aggressive price?

I have 4R single barrel and love it.
    I just picked up the 2011 LE FRSB for $69.99. I have heard good things about it, but there is only one to truly find out. I will need to crack it open soon and give it a try.