Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Aging Your Own in a Minature Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Basically I spent $60 and 6 months making a product that I would buy any day for $35 to enjoy later that night. But as I remind myself, it's more about the journey than the destination.
    Yeah, that about sums it up regarding the smaller home barrel projects.
    Pretty much hit or miss - if you don't mind shelling out some dough and
    waiting a while, maybe it'll turn out not half-bad.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I actually have some good news in this thread. In the old one I was following (among others) some 51/49 corn/wheat from the Grand Traverse Distillery since last summer. I pulled the remains of it today, and I have to say I really enjoyed the taste of what came out.

It was very dark, the color of a dark supermarket brand syrup. The nose wasn't anything remarkable, just a typical bourbon. The mouthfeel was heavy and viscous, but short of "chewy". It's one of those where you can take a very small sip, but still get a very strong flavor.

The initial flavor was very good, and more complex than it had been through the aging process. I picked up notes of citrus, cinnamon, and tobacco. The finish was long, strong, and very heavily loaded with oak.

Basically I spent $60 and 6 months making a product that I would buy any day
    for $35 to enjoy later that night. But as I remind myself, it's more about the
    journey than the destination.
    Bravo, BB! 10 bucks a month for some fun. Sounds like a deal to me.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I have a couple of friends who have used small barrel to age manhattans and have them " on tap". Worked pretty well in my opinion, although one of them (actually a local bar) had to bottle them after a certain point when they started to overage.
    Were the Manhattans completely made and aging in the barrel? I was considering this, figuring that all of the individual ingreedients are commonly barrel aged anyway. My hesitation was with the bitters, and whether they should have been added in the barrel or upon pouring.

Enthusiast

BB, I will have to check for you and let you know. I know bitters were not added to my glass when one was poured for me. I seem to remember one of them saying that the bitters were in there, but I'd rather be sure. Stay tuned.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Bravo, BB! 10 bucks a month for some fun. Sounds like a deal to me.
    Thanks Joe. Put that way, it is a deal. One thing I'm glad I did was save about 2 ounces from every 2-3 weeks (give or take, there's a gap or two in there) so I can go back and do a vertical tasting on it later.

Guru

I did a similar thing with my 5 liter barrel and distillate from GTD. The first fill was not great but not terrible either. For the second fill I put some BT White Dag in there and it turned out much better. The third fill, peated Malt from GTD, was even better, but I left it in a tad too long. I am currently trying to decide whether to cut it up for smoker chips or try something else in there. Knob Creek Single Barrel with a peated cask finish might be interesting!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

Thanks for the info!

BB - Thanks for the link to the other threads. I did a search before i posted and didn't find anything. You will have to update us on the vertical. Seems like there were regular changes during the aging process based on your other updates.

Disciple

I barreled a mix of VOB, Vermouth, Brandy, and Bitters today in the barrel previously used for the wheated bourbon. I don't plan to let this sit too long, since everything has already aged at least to the minimum already. I do enjoy the thought of offering someone a Manhattan directly from the barrel.