Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello en route to Madison, WI

I am returning to Madison after a wonderful trip on the Bourbon Trail which has plunged me full throttle into Bourbon madness. Iíve been drinking Bourbon for several years but am now diving into it as a hobby following the trip. We visited all six distilleries on the official trail and almost made it to BTís distillery as well.
    Iím curious if folks have recommendations on a few bourbonís to offer for a small tasting to enthrall some friends onto the bourbon train. I know a lot of folks recommend starting with the cheap stuff (though to date, Iím not sure if price is the ultimate ingredient for quality) to develop a palate but I would consider my own tastes and that of at least some of my potential audience to have a bit of a palate. That said, both $ and inexperience leave me thinking my target should be mid-range stuff in terms of complexity and price. Thus far I donít have strong prejudices for any given style (though oddly I dislike MM but am really enjoying WLW 7yo). I'm curious about not just what folks think is good, but also what goes well together and what to think about in terms of the order? Iím thinking about the following line up:

WLW 7yo, BT, FRSmB, and maybe WTRB or EC 12.

Iíd love to know what folks think, and look forward to sharing how things turn out.
    -EW

Disciple

Re: Hello en route to Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by EW Slurps View Post
    I am returning to Madison after a wonderful trip on the Bourbon Trail which has plunged me full throttle into Bourbon madness. Iíve been drinking Bourbon for several years but am now diving into it as a hobby following the trip. We visited all six distilleries on the official trail and almost made it to BTís distillery as well.
    Iím curious if folks have recommendations on a few bourbonís to offer for a small tasting to enthrall some friends onto the bourbon train. I know a lot of folks recommend starting with the cheap stuff (though to date, Iím not sure if price is the ultimate ingredient for quality) to develop a palate but I would consider my own tastes and that of at least some of my potential audience to have a bit of a palate. That said, both $ and inexperience leave me thinking my target should be mid-range stuff in terms of complexity and price. Thus far I donít have strong prejudices for any given style (though oddly I dislike MM but am really enjoying WLW 7yo). I'm curious about not just what folks think is good, but also what goes well together and what to think about in terms of the order? Iím thinking about the following line up:

WLW 7yo, BT, FRSmB, and maybe WTRB or EC 12.

Iíd love to know what folks think, and look forward to sharing how things turn out.
    -EW
    Welcome to the site! And there's nothing odd about preferring Weller over MM, as you'll soon find on SB.

Novice

You might also like to add to your mix Eagle Rare, a single barrel bourbon. I rich bourbon with great flavor. I picked up a bottle this weekend, have been sipping it for the last few days and am impressed with it.

Taster

Welcome to the boards! If you're interested in having a glass of whiskey with someone from the boards, I'll meet you at one of a number of bars with a good whiskey selection. Maduro (downtown) and The Malt House (east side-ish) both come to mind.

Novice

Thanks for the welcome and all the tips.

Jonny, I think I am going to keep my bourboning online for now but thanks for the offer. I need to check out malthouse as I've heard a lot of goof things. Madisonions might also want to check out Merchant which has a decent list and does a single barrel flight of three bourbons.

Okie, I didn't pick up eagle rare for my tasting, but have picked up a bottle recently. I am quickly falling in love with all things BT.

In the end I did a blind taste test includng OGD Bib, FRsmBa, and Old Weller Antique. Interestingly the FR was the least liked and the OGD was everyone's favorite.

Virtuoso

Maybe you can throw some rye whiskey in the mix as well.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Enthusiast

Just finishing up a visit to Madison. Great city! Had an amazing dinner at Merchant last night. These folks really know craft cocktails, and the food was great. Amazing selection of Bourbons & American Whiskey, too.

Will be coming back a week from this Saturday for the Distill America event. Hope to see y'all there!
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Novice

Welcome from Kansas...
    Ride safe, and drink responsibly,
    Chuck