Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

New Heaven Hill wheaters on the way?

I was reading the comments on the American Whiskey of the Year award at whiskyadvocate.com, and Larry Kass from HH chimed in. The comment was about the EC that won the award, but at the end he dropped what to me is a bombshell:

DaveP says:
    February 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm
    John, you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Kudos to Heaven Hill, now go bottle us some better wheated bourbon please!

Larry Kass says:
    February 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm
    Larry from Heaven Hill…
    Wow, I typically jump on here with a traditional “on behalf of Parker and Craig Beam, and all of us at Heaven Hill, thanks for the award and recognition…”, and we absolutely do feel this way again, but I also feel like John is taking some slings and arrows here which I regret. But I also feel he is stating his case quite decisively and admirably. These are the nature of single barrels, this is the nature of the beast! Each barrel will be different…here is a little secret: the second barrel of this 20yo, which John favored less, was filled one minute after this American Whiskey of the Year winner 20 years ago and aged 5 inches away in the next rick. It tastes different. That is why we think the concept of a single barrel is still so engaging and exciting for a Bourbon lover.
    So thanks, truly, from all the Heaven Hill family and I’m going to quietly slip back away into the rickhouse now
    And Dave, hold that thought about a wheater for just a little bit longer!

Enthusiast

Re: New Heaven Hill wheaters on the way?

Wooohoooo!!!!! I think this has more potential than the news of knob creek rye. remember phc 2010?

Novice

I didn't snag a bottle of that first cask EC20 but I did get a bottle of the second cask 20 year, and despite John's opinion of it, I'm enjoying it immensely. (Which of course only makes me wish I had gotten a bottle of the first 20 year.) I find it very flavorful and complex, doesn't taste "tired" to me, and I'm especially enjoying it after letting it sit for over an hour.

A Heaven Hill wheater would be welcome in my home anytime!

Another wheater from HH? I love me some wheaters. (Keeping fingers crossed)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I was reading the comments on the American Whiskey of the Year award at whiskyadvocate.com, and Larry Kass from HH chimed in. The comment was about the EC that won the award, but at the end he dropped what to me is a bombshell:

DaveP says:
    February 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm
    John, you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Kudos to Heaven Hill, now go bottle us some better wheated bourbon please!

Larry Kass says:
    February 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm
    Larry from Heaven Hill…
    Wow, I typically jump on here with a traditional “on behalf of Parker and Craig Beam, and all of us at Heaven Hill, thanks for the award and recognition…”, and we absolutely do feel this way again, but I also feel like John is taking some slings and arrows here which I regret. But I also feel he is stating his case quite decisively and admirably. These are the nature of single barrels, this is the nature of the beast! Each barrel will be different…here is a little secret: the second barrel of this 20yo, which John favored less, was filled one minute after this American Whiskey of the Year winner 20 years ago and aged 5 inches away in the next rick. It tastes different. That is why we think the concept of a single barrel is still so engaging and exciting for a Bourbon lover.
    So thanks, truly, from all the Heaven Hill family and I’m going to quietly slip back away into the rickhouse now
    And Dave, hold that thought about a wheater for just a little bit longer!
    You're welcome.

Sincerely,
    Dave P.

P.S. Thanks Larry!
    Last edited by CaptainQ; 02-02-2012 at 20:17.

Novice

As a fan of wheaters, I too was excited to read this. Their current OFBIB is average at best to me. I would love to try a new wheated expression from HH.

My concern is that OH will never stock it.

Guru

Hate to be a wet blanket but what might "a little while longer" mean? 6 mos.? 6 yrs? 16 yrs?

He seems to be saying better Old Fitz is coming, not that theres going to be a new expression, let alone a single barrel.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Hate to be a wet blanket but what might "a little while longer" mean? 6 mos.? 6 yrs? 16 yrs?

He seems to be saying better Old Fitz is coming, not that theres going to be a new expression, let alone a single barrel.
    The wheater question was independent of the EC single barrel topic, so I don't think that a single barrel was promised. Whatever went into the PHC2010 is now close to 12 years old, so maybe they'll upgrade their 12 year?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    The wheater question was independent of the EC single barrel topic, so I don't think that a single barrel was promised.
    Absolutely right. Should have read more carefully.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

As a fan of both wheaters and HH, I'm excited to hear this.