Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Why no BT rye mash 2 at barrel strength

As part of the Antique Collection, Buffalo Trace offers barrel strength bourbons made from rye mash 1 (Stagg), wheat mash (WLW) and straight rye (Handy), but not rye mash 2. I know that overseas they sell a barrel strength Blanton's, but not in the US. Any thoughts as to why they don't offer a barrel strength version of rye mash 2?

Connoisseur

Re: Why no BT rye mash 2 at barrel strength

The Sazerac/ Age International deal might be why there is no mash #2 in the BTAC. That does not, however, explain why there is no Barrel strength Blanton's offered here.

Virtuoso

Isn't Blanton's actually owned and distribution controlled by a Japanese company? BT is the contract manufacturer but has no say in what iteration is released where - is that correct?

Virtuoso
    Yes. My understanding, as Clingman notes, is that all of the rye mash 2 brands (AA, Blanton's, ETL, RHF) are owned by the Japanese company Age International. There seems to be very little known about the relationship between BT and Age. Chuck covered it in a post on his blog a little while ago.

But that doesn't answer the question of why there are no barrel strength versions especially when we know they are made for export.

Taster

Interesting thread. RHF is one of my favorite bourbons. I think it is really underrated. If I recall its about 50% ABV, so I'd be really interested in tasting it at barrel strength.

Disciple

This is a good question, since I love BT's High Rye Bourbons. As Sazerac doesn't own those labels, it doesn't seem to be their priority.

Connoisseur

This is indeed a good question. I'm drinking a healthy pour of TPS AAA tonight, fantastic bourbon even at 86 proof. But, just think how good it could be at 100 proof? Let alone barrel strength?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sazerac can make suggestions to Age but that's about it. Age controls all of the brands that use that mash bill. Obviously, these are deals between two closely held corporations, so I don't know the exact arrangements, but I assume that Age actually owns all of the whiskey made from that mash bill from the moment it's distilled. It's essentially a contract distilling job. Bottom line is Sazerac has nothing to do with it. It's 100% up to Age.

Connoisseur

It sure would be nice to drop one, --ER 17 maybe--, and add an Age mash #2 to the BTAC. Ten year old barrel strength Blanton's sounds awfully appealing.

Enthusiast

Does this mean my wishes for an extra aged barrel proof ET Lee to join the BTAC will more than likely never come true?