Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Willett Straight Rye - Now a 5 year version!

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    If you want a 5-6 year old Willett rye.... buy a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Same juice, albeit at a different bottling ABV, at a much better price,
    How do you figure?

If you adjust it for proof, they're almost the same price, although the Willett is a little more expensive (just over a buck).

That's using Party Source prices for both ($31.99 and $24.99 respectively). I know you can get good deals on Bulleit when it's on sale but I think the Willett is really great regardless of price. And remember, it is a single barrel, so one assumes that there had to be some level of discrimination in the selection.

Virtuoso

If you want a 5-6 year old Willett rye.... buy a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Same juice, albeit at a different bottling ABV, at a much better price,
    The bottle of 3yo Willet Rye I had was unfiltered; Bulleit is chill-filtered. The makes a huge difference IMO.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

I am awful new around here to be disagreeing I guess, but I just don't think they are equivalent. For one thing the Willett is a single barrel, also the higher proof makes a huge difference. Don't get me wrong I love Bulleit as an everyday rye, but at least with the 4 year Willett I have it doesn't come close. Now..if the Bulleit folks would consider a 100 proof or cask strength version...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    The bottle of 3yo Willet Rye I had was unfiltered; Bulleit is chill-filtered. The makes a huge difference IMO.
    Agreed. I like both, but my nod goes to Wilett.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I agree. I have Bulleit at home, along with Willett 3 and 4yr. While it's all LDI, the uncut/unfiltered aspect leaves Bulleit in the dust.

Virtuoso

Anyone ever dropped the proof on the willett to see if the can pick em out blind?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

I have come close to the Bulleit Proof although did not measure exactly. To me, the Willett has a better mouthfeel and is spicier. Not as watery as the Bulleit.

Advanced Taster
    I picked a couple of Willett 4 and now 5 yo ryes at Total Wine and did a blind side by side. Just about identical to my palate. I really couldn't tell them apart. The abv is the same, 55%

Today sipping on some WT 101 rye that I found at a local store. Not nearly as bold and flavorful as the LDI rye but also lacked the minty taste of the LDI which is a good thing. The WT is an easy sipper. I don't even want to think about an 81 pf rye

Enthusiast

Picked up a bottle of the 5 year the other day from Party Source. I get much less mint and more sweetness than others have tasted. Reminds me a little of Ritt BiB. Highly recommend and will likely buy another bottle next time in Cincy, hopefully a couple of bottles will still be on the shelves.

Connoisseur

Okay, I want to get this right - most of you are saying that buying the Willett 5 yr 110pf @ say $33.99 is a better idea than buying the Bulleit Rye @ say $27.99, eh?

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on Bulleit Rye 'cause the price seems too high, but as soon as I saw the Willett, BANG! Had to have it. I think I made a mistake, tho. I only got one (along with 2 RittBIB). Both were my 1st sightings of these expressions.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 08-15-2012 at 01:23.