Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

BOTM 2/12: Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Late again. No big surprise.

In looking through the BOTM list, I noticed that it's been quite a while since anything from Wild Turkey has had a turn. I had a hard time deciding between WT 81, and WTKS. Even though there has been some recent discussion on the "new" 81 proof, I decided to go with WTKS. I figured that many members are somewhat familiar with the variations over the years. I thought this might generate some good discussion/posts.

So, Pewter Top, Smooth Dark Top, Embossed Dark Top, or the current Light Wood Top, let's here what you think.

Cheers to Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 2/12: Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

I have had one bottle of WTKS, recently bought with the light colored top. The wood top separated from the cork when I tried to open it, so I had to use a wine cork puller to get it open. I used an empty AAA 10 yr. bottle to hold the contents so that it could be made airtight until consumed.

I thought it was OK, but not as good as WTRB, which I happen to like very much. So far I have gone through RB, KS and 101 in the WT line. RB is the only one I have replaced so far.

Virtuoso

Smooth Dark top with dark Bourbon inside hasn't let me down yet. A 2001 Pewter was not great and the current light top and light juice just tastes young and hot to me.

Connoisseur

My favorites are the smooth dark tops bottled in September 2003. That said... I had a dark logo top WTKS (2-13-06) during the Super Bowl. This bourbon always delivers IMHO. Lots of vanilla, caramel, toffee... Classic Turkey spiciness... Nicely balanced. I left a lot of smooth tops behind in my early days of hunting. I am slowly but surely retracing my footsteps.

Virtuoso

Halifax is right to identify a month and year as that is a much more accurate way to zero in on the best bottlings.

I asked Jimmy Russell if they changed the juice when they changed the tops and he laughed and said no. The change in tops was something done by the marketing dept. to reduce costs and bring the product in line with their other products on the shelf.
    So, Turkey isn't using the tops as any sort of marker for different product but we can use it for identifying different general periods of preferred juice. The month and year are much more specific however.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Smooth Dark top with dark Bourbon inside hasn't let me down yet. A 2001 Pewter was not great and the current light top and light juice just tastes young and hot to me.
    I often think "young and hot" while drinking various WT, even after slight dilution.

Disciple

Current light wood top, bottled 4/29/10.

Slightly pale color, mildly spicy nose. Once water is added, a slightly sweet vanilla center emerges, but the finish remains a bit hot and unchained. Lacks the depth of complexity that I get from WTRB.

As this lists the barrel number, why will they not tell me the age?? Probably because we would never buy it at that price if we knew how young it is.

RB and 101Rye remain my favorite current WT expressions.

Just finished some Spirit a few months ago and rather enjoyed it. I like the 101 as a good value pour, but have never really kept any Turkey variations stocked in my bar. I just grabbed a bottle of Rare Breed and was less than impressed on my first glass, but I didn't dilute it and perhaps it needs some time to "air out."

Taster

Sadly, I believe PA doesn't have WTKS.
    Bourbon, Bacon, Boobs, and Burgers.

Enthusiast

Smooth Dark Top, bottled 02/03/04

Nose - Wood at first, followed by almond paste.

Taste - WT burn and wood with strong vanilla. Almost has a flavor of egg nog.

Finish - Dry, but a nice oak flavor.

I think Kentucky Spirit is good, but I enjoy Rare Breed about as much. Granted, I haven't had the current stuff in a while, just the '91 bottling that might be clouding my memory. I haven't had the current KS to compare. All I have in the bunker are a couple '96 pewter tops.