Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Once a year allocation for Pappy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Can one of the moderators put all the Pappy-Van Winkle-Weller posts in one Thread so we can clean up the rest of the site.
    Make it the universal garage dump for all comments relating to anything Pappy-Weller or VW.
    They had better do it soon. The Van Winkles just announced on Facebook that the Spring bottling is complete.
    -SOB-

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Weller 12 (and Weller Special Reserve) simply do not exist here in NJ at all, and even Weller Antique can only be found in one or two shops (special order),
    Suprisingly tough to find here in NYC, actually- I only know of two stores that have it on the regular, most places don't, and look at me with five heads when I ask about it.

Connoisseur

Once a year? At this point, they could release it once a decade for all I care.

I officially have Pappy fatigue and will not be actively looking to buy. If I run into it on a store shelf at a decent price, I will pick it up, but I refuse to pay eBay prices or wait an hour in line for the 'privilege' of purchasing a single bottle. This is especially true when the 15 is no longer SW and the 20 is going the same route.

Besides, I have found some phenomenal ryes that blow any of the Pappys, SW or not, out of the water.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 02-13-2012 at 23:00.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Besides, I have found some phenomenal ryes that blow any of the Pappys, SW or not, out of the water.
    Please do share the names of these fine ryes.

Enthusiast

Facebook update:

The spring allocation will include everything except the rye. Most markets who received a fall allocation will receive a spring allocation.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by greens View Post
    Please do share the names of these fine ryes.
    Keep in mind this is all my opinion and taste is a very subjective thing. That said, I would take the Saz18 or Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye over any Pappy expression. The problem is, these bottles are also very scarce.

As far as more readily available rye, I prefer a Thomas H Handy to any Pappy 15/20/23 and would choose a High West Rendezvous, High West 16, or Whistlepig over the PVW15 or 23.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    They had better do it soon. The Van Winkles just announced on Facebook that the Spring bottling is complete.
    Over the course of the last 7-10 days, I have made the rounds thru most of the places where I saw VW during & after the fall release. It seems nobody knows anything about a spring release in these parts, or, they are just playing dumb. I can't even get anybody to put me on a 'call' list. They look at me like I'm crazy and dismiss the idea just about altogether. I guess I'll just keep knocking on doors & heads until the bottles begin to show up...lol. Not getting a chance at any rye is quite a downer though.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Over the course of the last 7-10 days, I have made the rounds thru most of the places where I saw VW during & after the fall release. It seems nobody knows anything about a spring release in these parts, or, they are just playing dumb. I can't even get anybody to put me on a 'call' list. They look at me like I'm crazy and dismiss the idea just about altogether. I guess I'll just keep knocking on doors & heads until the bottles begin to show up...lol. Not getting a chance at any rye is quite a downer though.
    They are actually posting when each area is shipping on Facebook. So perhaps, you can hold off on the knocking on heads until you see the shipment announcement.

(So far VT has shipped, NH shipping 3/1, ID 2/23, Montana 3/1 according to the FB Page).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    They are actually posting when each area is shipping on Facebook. So perhaps, you can hold off on the knocking on heads until you see the shipment announcement.

(So far VT has shipped, NH shipping 3/1, ID 2/23, Montana 3/1 according to the FB Page).

They have been announcing it that way for the last 4 allocations.

Taster

Surprised to see a NH shipment (didn't think there was one last fall). I'll be keeping an eye on their inventory site for sure.