Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Homemade Whiskey Stones

I'm sure most of you have heard/used whiskey stones. Instead of buying them, I am going to take a crack at making them myself. Once I obtain a slab of soap stone and a diamond edge hacksaw blade, I will go to town and report back. Anyone else make their own whiskey stones?
    Bourbon, Bacon, Boobs, and Burgers.

Taster

Re: Homemade Whiskey Stones

I've never understood the need for this type of thing. I greatly prefer room temperature whiskey to chilled whiskey as I think the flavors are much more open. Thoughts?
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBradford View Post
    I'm sure most of you have heard/used whiskey stones. Instead of buying them, I am going to take a crack at making them myself. Once I obtain a slab of soap stone and a diamond edge hacksaw blade, I will go to town and report back. Anyone else make their own whiskey stones?
    If you like 'em, great. Doesn't sound like you will be saving much once you factor in the cost of your time (and hacksaw blades), but to each their own. If you like making things, then I guess there is nothing wrong with it... assuming you can find a slab of soapstone pure enough to use at a decent price.

My only issue with the stones is that they do not hold the cold very long at all, so I don't find they do all that great a job of cooling the bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by bourboncc View Post
    I've never understood the need for this type of thing. I greatly prefer room temperature whiskey to chilled whiskey as I think the flavors are much more open. Thoughts?
    There are times I like my whiskey chilled, but not watered down with a cube of ice. At different temperatures different flavors may come through, so yes some flavors may come through more with room temperature whiskey, but whether or not that is a good thing, is simply a matter of taste.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

@Bourboncc
    I live in northern Canada and don't understand the need for Air Conditioning.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle View Post
    @Bourboncc
    I live in northern Canada and don't understand the need for Air Conditioning.
    I guess I would have to purchase a set of these to "get it", but I'm just not willing to lay down the cash.
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBradford View Post
    Regular blade should do. Soapstone is pretty soft. If you can scratch it with your fingernail, a regular hacksaw blade should easily cut it.

Then a little light sanding, and you're set to go.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Taster

I think I like the look of the stones in the glass more than the temp factor. I would prolly keep the stone in the fridge more than the freezer. Slightly chilled is my preference. Not cold, and slightly above room temp. Plus, I love DIYing stuff. Even if it may cost the same if not more, I just like making stuff myself.
    Bourbon, Bacon, Boobs, and Burgers.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Regular blade should do. Soapstone is pretty soft. If you can scratch it with your fingernail, a regular hacksaw blade should easily cut it.
    These things are made of thew same soapstone that's used to mark on steel when you cut it with a torch/plasma cutter?

I was assuming it was something else.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bourboncc View Post
    I'm in total agreement.

Except for the occasional Jameson's in the summer, I'm not an in the rocks kind of guy.

Higher proof whiskeys just get blunted by the cold. Then, all I can taste is cold ethanol. OK. I'm exaggerating a bit. But I think you know what I mean.